5th August: Beirut Explosion Analysis (05/08/2020)

Tinkinator

Trade Unionist Civilian
★ Donor ★
Nov 23, 2019
United Kingdom
This is a rough estimate of the damage, using a nuclear blast calculator to determine an ammonium nitrate detonation of what seems to be around 1000 tons (1 Kiloton).

Ignoring the radiation effects factored into this model, the projected injury toll from this is around 3000-4000, which seems about right according to the reports as of time of posting.

Footage prior to the detonation of the material shows a large fire with plumes of smoke rushing out, with bursts of bright lights and sounds coming from the peer. These where fireworks going on off, which were either stored nearby incidentally or placed their on purpose.

At this time, it is not known whether this fire and subsequent blast was started deliberately or not. Local authorities are treating it as an industrial incident, while some western countries leaders have suggested that it was a terrorist attack.

Such an explosion is actually hard to get going, since ammonium nitrate burns more often than it does detonate, which may be the rationale as to why it was stored at the port since 2014. Non-the-less, it is a hazardous material and should be stored safely and away from civilian centres...

Apparently, blast damage has been reported up to 10km away from ground zero, which isn't accounted for in this model, but within the 1.2 km radius, expect forces that can cause serious death and destruction.

Reactions: yoyo

Nebula

Aug 17, 2020
Dubai
I'm no local, but My friend tells me that it's thanks to the corruption that this happened in the first place. Their government was informed multiple times about this and taking advantage of the contents but they apparently didn't respond which led to the explosion. It's sad that it happened but at least now a lot of people know and now the people who didn't listen are in serious trouble. Also if you're thinking of donating and helping the people don't do it via their government as if you think about it that money isn't going to end up anywhere good. My recommendation is to do it via individually verified charities. So, the money is actually ending up to the right people.

• Sad
Reactions: Tinkinator

Tinkinator

Trade Unionist Civilian
★ Donor ★
Nov 23, 2019
United Kingdom
Yeah, it's a tragic situation. I you wanna help them as best as possible, do your homework first, so it actually do some good.

Just like when Notre Dame burned down, people were giving lots of money to help repair it, even though it belongs to the catholic church which have untold wealth and are infamous for using said wealth to sexually abuse children.

The Pesterer

Forum Robot
Jul 13, 2021
Armory
i know the last message from this thread was from 2020 but that explosion did something towards me that year. the first time seeing it made me horrified. an explosion that fast and unexpected is pretty shocking. the thought that so many people died in an instant. a whole city. looking like it has been nuked. it was horrible. so many people died and the people who were alive were at a great financial crisis. it sometimes makes you think: "will there be an explosion at my city and will it destroy the country." thankfully the place was mostly repaired but it still left a flashback to everyone living at beirut and thats that they arent safe than they think they are.