About Diner in JB servers

zode

Member ★
Hi there. I'd like to bring up the topic of the minigame "Diner" in jailbreak servers, where reds are placed behind a counter and asked to "cook" a dish with a given theme for blus. Reds present their dish using chat or mic, and blues vote if they like the dish or not in their team chat, therefore deciding if the present red will live or die. I don't think this game is as fair as it should be, and find it wanting.

I'll bring up three points, so as to argue why I'm writing this. This game is:

1. Extensively time-consuming
2. Disorganized
3. Opinion-based

1. Extensively time-consuming

In order for each red to play the game, they will have to: wait for their turn, walk up to the counter, type their dish in chat, wait for blus to come to a consensus, be killed/told to stand on a table, and walk up to the table. Most of the time spent during this game is either waiting to play, or waiting for everyone else to finish playing. My perspective on this is that the long time spent standing around (or AFK by the Warden's orders) winds up to be boring, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

2. Disorganized
The usual formation (or lack thereof) for reds is to either be entirely AFK, or to jump around, taunt and be generally loud. When the Warden gives orders for all reds to be AFK, they tend not to follow after a while since they get bored (as presented in the previous point). Reds are called to go up to the counter on a one-by-one basis, and both teams tend to be clustered. This often causes involuntary baiting from both parties, which in turn leads to rebellers trying their luck.

3. Opinion-based
This is the last and most important concern I'd like to raise. Since blus vote on whether or not to kill the current red on display, it is possible for favoritism to take place. If several blus don't like a certain red (because of commonly rebelling, winning games, being disrespectful) they are given the power to simply vote to kill them. I've also witnessed Wardens not reading the votes in team chat, and simply going with their own choice to kill whoever they want.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Having explained the aforementioned arguments, I'd like to open a discussion on whether or not something should be done about this game to make it more enjoyable to all parties, and if so, what that something should be
. I don't believe banning the game would be a good idea, but it's also difficult to think of ways to regulate it to ensure favoritism doesn't play a role in the final outcome. I'd be pleased to discuss this, even to merely entertain the thought. Cheers!

P.S. Please let me know about any misspellings or grammar mistakes, I study English as a foreign language.

Eight

Restless
Super-Admin ★
I don't necessarily disagree with any of these points, and I think we should extend this discussion to Club Glod/Theater, as that's pretty much the same thing. However, I can't really think of a way to exclude favoritism completely out of diner without completely changing the game, since it's essentially built around favoring certain dishes over others, which is unfortunate. Though you are right, we can't simply disallow it either, due to it's popularity and incorporation into many maps. So really, I don't have much to say as a solution for the favoritism in the game, however I'm eager to hear other opinions, and if I have anything more to add, I'll be sure to make another reply to this thread or edit this post.

As for the first two concerns, with an efficient enough warden, they can be alleviated, as you can just tell the REDs to go to a certain area of the building and AFK, though it may be tougher to keep track of them and kill rebellers. It may also be tough to not be time-consuming with the game whilst also keeping everything fair (giving enough time for the player to provide his dish & having a fair vote), as ideally you want to get a lot of the BLUs votes before deciding to let someone pass or not, though BLUs have a tendency to not vote at all.