Being a good Warden

Vladdleco

Forum Extremist
Jul 2, 2018
France (Baguette Land)
Hello everyone,
I rarely play as Warden on Jailbreak and that's why I ask for some help.
Being a good Warden is really hard, you have to handle the reds,the guards and the rule breakers too.
So I ask to the community some tips for me (And other people) to be a good warden.

Thanks Everyone

Malzahar

May 3, 2018
It is from experience most of the time but from what I have seen so far I think it is safe to say the best way to be warden is to be nice to the reds most of the times and mediocre with the guards but it can vary when there are a lot of rebels you should act like a dick to reds
and when the reds comply and are ok with orders then just be nice

Reactions: Vladdleco

Marko

Jul 3, 2018
Serbia
if you want to be respected as warden you need to have a stand, what i mean by that to build respect for yourself and to handle stuff right. if guards are breaking the rules just warn them that you can slay them, if they do it again like freekill you can slay them easly. if they are micspammers just mute blus. same for reds.

MissMaye

The Overseer
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 16, 2017
Make the reds hate you and thats how :D no taunt day, reds melee only, jetpack kos, crouchwalk everywhere, CELLWARS EVERY 3 ROUNDS WITHOUT FAIL >:D and in cell rebel day hug and face back cell wall. 70% of reds either get it or they die. always mute reds. and blues. Only you need to talk, you're the warden, man. Keep an eye on the rules here on the forums too just so you can enforce things properly too, always helps. " duhhhhh you need 4 blues to do cell wars" WRONG "i can move to hit a baiter that was freekill" no you cant lol "that sniper is scoping he's baiting wah wah" if hes not looking at reds directly thats dumb let him scope lol ect ect

fdhadbhiwdvcoiwd

Jul 10, 2018
Being a good warden is quite easy once you get the hang of it, if I were you I'd take queue's from wardens you consider "good wardens" and use some of there strategies. As warden, in my opinion your #1 goal should be someone gets LR each round. Dealing with reds is one of the more difficult ones you mentioned, the more you restrict them the less chance they will rebel. When I am warden I will usually start the round by giving them an order like hug and face back cell wall and then add a ton of restrictions after it, usually like this "all reds hug and face back cell wall AFK frozen, no detours or delays apply to all my orders, Spys have sappers out, medics have mediguns out but no healing, Pyros have melee's out at all times, and reds must be AFK AFM frozen during repeats." Controlling blues is probably the easiest because most blues are usually skilled JB players and know to ask warden before killing someone that they are not 100% sure are KOS, but they can be annoying when you make trick orders. And lastly free killers (For this last one I'm assuming an admin is not on) this can be really easy to deal with and easily the hardest at the same time. Mass free killers can be dealt with quite easily just by slaying them each round until an admin comes. But if there is multiple free killers and trolls on mic too (who probably joined with the free killers) then theirs pretty much no winning, just call an admin at that point.

Frussly

Patience, I dont have.
★ Donor ★
May 29, 2018
You’ve seen me be warden, and you know very well that I am really strict. I don’t pardon people unless it grants me the advantage.

As mom said make them hate you, that’s how you gain their respect in the end.

Druid

Sep 20, 2018
I find the point of being a good warden is not to have complete control of the Reds or even to successfully complete every round. (Of course this is a sub-objective of the grand picture and quite high up the priorities list.)

Number 1 Priority - The point of the warden is to make sure people are having fun.
-Sub Priority 1.1 - The warden is there to facilitate the playing of (Fun) games for the reds to compete in using differing cruxes such as skill in the game or general knowledge or other talents etc.
-Sub Priority 1.2 - The warden is there to provide a (Moderately) oppressive force that the Reds can scheme to overcome either on their own or as a group.
Number 2 Priority - The point of the warden is to keep order in the prison.
-Sub Priority 2.1 - The warden must keep Reds in check and under (fair) control, ushering them from game to game and stopping reds from running a muck.
-Sub Priority 2.2 - The warden must keep Blues in check and under (total) control, making sure they aren't baiting, killing without just reason. Making sure they stand in the correct places in order to effectively manage reds without succumbing themselves.

-Sub Priority 1.1 (Expanded) - If we explore a wardens ability to get Reds to do games there appears to be a high number of Red players who are in favour of playing games, winning and losing them on their own terms, whether they had the skill level high enough to compete or not. Playing games seems to be much more enjoyable (Hence directly attributing to a wardens Number 1 Priority) than deaths that incur from observational mishaps or confusion. (ie Tricky orders, Miscellaneous cell days etc.)
Even greater than that, a large proportion of highly active reds (Mics in use, conscious and aware of their actions and reactions from guards and fellow reds.) will likely get bored with regular games that appear on the maps like Climb, Obby, Deathrun, etc and will engage and have more fun (Hence directly attributing to a wardens Number 1 Priority) if they get to play or compete in original games or games that involve active creative effort from the reds themselves then the highly active reds will really enjoy themselves.
Here's a list of fun games that I've found people to really enjoy.
-Dive competitions in Pool.
-Improvised acting scenes in groups.
-Couples Prom night.
-IED teams.
-Scenes from a hat
-Ingredient restricted diner
-Catwalk of Death

-Sub Priority 2.1 (Expanded) - If we look into the biggest cause of mad and people disconnecting on the server it's quite easy to spot a couple glaring problems. As mentioned before, "Playing games seems to be much more enjoyable...than deaths that incur from observational mishaps or confusion.". A warden who implements ludicrously strict AFK AFM rules is a warden who gets bored, frustrated, and restless Reds unless he/she keeps them constantly preoccupied with games or movement. A new Red will also be quickly turned off from the server if he/she just joins and is immediately killed for a reason that they don't fully understand, and now they have to sit there for 9 minutes watching other people enjoy themselves. Not exactly congruent to a fun time right? When I use the qualifier (fair) as a additive on control I mean this from the perspective of the Red. Often times if they are attempting to follow a wardens commands and are killed without warning that what they are doing is incorrect then they will feel as if it was unjust as if they had just been informed of their mistake then they would have corrected because they want to play games. So we arrive at a possible dirty word of "Warning shots". I find warning shots can be a natural solution to this but if the warden has blues in the right places then a slight mis-movement of a Red should not warrant death as they wouldn't pose a threat to a blue.

If people aren't having fun on your jailbreak server they won't come back, we're already a niche service provider. If we alienate folk by being super strict or killing them for impossibly small details they won't have fun.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Vladdleco