Deathrun mapping tips?

finskboi

Apr 15, 2020
Finland
can someone give me tips for deathrun mapping? I started to work on map inspired by Pink Floyd's the Wall, and i'm beginner in mapping.
Example traps shall be: The trap that drags you somewhere and traps that won't let you escape.

Coronarena

Mapper
Sep 3, 2018
Here's some basic deathrun map design knowledge.

The gamemode is a test of skill, so any trap that you make shouldn't be a blatantly obvious sacrifice trap. Also because of the fact it's a skill gamemode, maybe having a couple of traps that you can get your way out of if you're quick is a good idea. That isn't to say make a trap that's borderline useless, but I have often found that it feels more rewarding successfully "duking" the activator and escaping the trap due to my own quick wit, rather than pretending to enter an instant kill trap and duking him like that. Side note on the topic of skill: If you really have to add 50/50 doors for whatever reason, maybe make them like banks', where there's a subtle hint as to which one is safe. Otherwise don't bother since 50/50 doors aren't really fun.

While making the map, start off with minimal details, so you can change anything that doesn't work easily if need be. On that topic also, playtest often. Do simple compiles to test minor things, but do full compiles for testing on a server with friends. If you don't own a server, there are communities like "Death Experiments" who will gladly playtest the map on their server and give VERY useful feedback (DM me if you want to know more about that).

There are a ton more things that I could mention, but these two paragraphs are enough to get started with, and as you progress further, you'll pick up more and more things, either by yourself, or from friends or other mappers. Anyway, I wish you good luck!

Edit: you can add me on steam as well if you need small bits of help if you want. I have nothing better to do as of recent.