Status
Not open for further replies.

dimmy

Popular Member
Jan 24, 2020
1.) Discord username with discriminator:
dimmy#0073
2.) What happened?
I screenshared "Spongebob Squarepants" so that my friend could watch with me in a WLN VC.

3.) Why should we unban/unisolate you?
I believe my ban was unfair.

I completely understand that you guys have an extremely strict policy when it comes to breaking Discord TOS. I understand that it says (boiled down)
"No screensharing pirated content."
And I'm deeply regretting my choice to screen share pirated content, and believe that I can make a simple change to just not do it again.

However, what feels unfair to me is that less than a week before this incident, a person was typing in general, asking to be banned. He tried to achieve what he wanted by printing out the hard R. His punishment was isolation; for a day I believe. The person who said a slur was only iso'd for saying a racial slur, while I was banned permanently for screensharing a kids show. And I know for a fact that saying racial slurs (Or slurs in general) is also against discord TOS.

However, some people don't believe that saying slurs is against TOS and there were a couple of counter-arguments, in fact, I argued against Smug (It was a civil argument, there were no insults nor demeaning comments made towards each other). However, I believe that I counterargued well enough to make this discord appeal.

I start the conversation by claiming the ban felt unfair due to the person who said a slur only getting iso'd.
And that saying slurs is also against TOS.

Smug argued that discord claims when it says
" Do not organize, promote, or coordinate servers around hate speech."
It's referring to servers and not users.

I counterargued that Discord has been banning users for saying racial slurs for nearly a year now
Smug once again argued that they are refering to servers, and the server owners.
I counterargue that it clearly says "actors" (refering to users.)
He says "Look at the next sentence, It talks about the servers"
I counterargued "It changed the subject, the discord forum post said that users were getting banned too."
He counterargued it was because they owned the servers.

I asked for proof. He had none.
I asked him if he no proof, "why to make such a claim?"
He said that he didn't, instead that he just "thought so"
Then he says that Discord TOS is really up for interpretation sometimes.

I continue to strengthen my argument by saying that
"Anyone could argue that just by saying racial slurs, they are participating in the act of racism."
The person who said printed out the hard R in dancing letter gifs was clearly interacting with others by constantly asking to be banned. (I don't have proof of this one since I no longer have access to the discord.) For more details, you can ask lolnutt who was the one that Iso'd him.

And one final image to strengthen my arguement even further that the ban was arguably unjust.
Rules of Conduct and Usage
"You agree to not use the Service in order to: defame, libel, ridicule, mock, stock, threaten, harass, intimidate, or abuse anyone;"
The person printed out the hard R in dancing letter gifs. It was clear to me(and others most likely) that this person was trying to ridicule black people (by saying the hard R) in order to get banned.

And yet he didn't, instead, he got iso'd for a day.
While I screenshared a kids show and got permanently banned from the discord.

That concludes my appeal, halfway of typing this, I realized that I might sound a bit pretentious, however, I promise you that is not my intent.
I just wanted to make a good case on why I feel like I should be unbanned, or at least have the ban be shortened.
Thank you for reading.

Pootiscow

TF2 community historian
★ Donor ★
Apr 24, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
The other user that you have brought up and whether they should be permanently banned are not relevant to whether or not your ban should be reduced/removed.
If you would like to discuss if we should permanently ban users for any use of racial slur(s), without prior warnings/punishments, I would encourage you to make a separate thread about the topic.

That being said, if you agree to never wrongfully stream/share copywriten materials on our server, or any affiliated servers, I would be willing to lower your ban to 3 days.

dimmy

Popular Member
Jan 24, 2020
The other user that you have brought up and whether they should be permanently banned are not relevant to whether or not your ban should be reduced/removed.
If you would like to discuss if we should permanently ban users for any use of racial slur(s), without prior warnings/punishments, I would encourage you to make a separate thread about the topic.

That being said, if you agree to never wrongfully stream/share copywriten materials on our server, or any affiliated servers, I would be willing to lower your ban to 3 days.
I agree gratefully and I am sorry. I meant to actively be comparing my punishment to his punishment, however, it is obvious that I failed to portray that. Thank you so much for responding and lowering my ban.

(And I will most likely not make a separate thread, instead, I shall make it a suggestion in the discord :))

Status
Not open for further replies.