Discussion of cyberbullying

Guac

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 11, 2019
My school recently had that "bullying" speech they legally have to do, and included cyberbullying. I personally don't think it is as big as the government and companies are making it out to be, as honestly if someone can't handle people on the internet being mean, they probably shouldn't be on it in the first place. Please don't make this political, it's just a discussion thread.

BlueSpirit

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Mar 10, 2020
I agree. The way the internet is you will definitely find more bullying and toxicity than you would from even that same person in real life. I feel they act like that because of the feeling of be anonymous on the internet. And the mirror side to that. People who more or less waste their effort and mental calmness trying to stop or speak sense into them. Most likely they won't because of the protection they get on the internet. Hope Im not going off course here, but not sure if its a good or bad thing but gaming especially ones with open voice chat. Have started to desensitize or numb racial slurs and toxicity. My bad if I rambled on, just have thought about this and thought it kinda of pertained to what you were getting at.

Edit: My bad if I rambled on bit much. Or made it political kinda fuzzy on what you mean by that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guac

Aldash

Forum Extremist
Aug 12, 2017
Scotland
Social Media is a thing that basically every teen uses now, cyberbullying occurs mostly on these sites where most people are not actually anonymous and the cyberbullying is from people that they know.

Saying not to use the internet is a pretty basic argument simply because in these modern times most people have a need to stay in the loop and without the internet, people felt left behind.

Basically cyberbullying bad but people don't want to just turn off their computers cause they want to use other aspects of the internet.

Reactions: Eight

Gibus

Forum Extremist
Feb 25, 2019
Asia
The thing is, there is a certain border between being a normal user and being in a place where you don't belong. If you're in that place where you don't belong and you're bullied there, then it's on you for either being there or not being tough enough for the internet. If you are harassed outside that zone, then that's the main issue that many people are talking about with "cyberbullying". That's just my opinion, how I see it.

Guac

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 11, 2019
If it was between teens in high school, for instance, online, then it wouldn't be hard to expose them for being a bad person in general and ruin their reputation. If it gets bad enough, then it wouldn't be hard to report them to their guidance counselor, where it could be handled without law enforcement intervention.

My point wasn't that it doesn't really matter, it's that it is kind of stupid people can get legitimate jail time for it. Sorry that I did not mention that specifically.

Aldash

Forum Extremist
Aug 12, 2017
Scotland
If you're in that place where you don't belong and you're bullied there, then it's on you for either being there or not being tough enough for the internet.

A lot of cyberbullying happens on social media where there isn't really a well defined "zone"

I see people here saying it is the person's problem for not being tough enough for the internet, are people such assholes that they are saying it is the victim's fault.
Post automatically merged:

n teens in high school, for instance, online, then it wouldn't be hard to expose them for being a bad person in general and ruin their reputation.

Sorry for spam posting

A lot of people in less progressive schools like to pick on coloured/disabled people and a lot of their friends think the same way, people being abusive and getting called out for it by their friends is sometimes not enough, that is when school intervention usually happens

Guac

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 11, 2019
A lot of cyberbullying happens on social media where there isn't really a well defined "zone"

I see people here saying it is the person's problem for not being tough enough for the internet, are people such assholes that they are saying it is the victim's fault.
I would like to mention that it was not my intention to victim shame here, I am just trying to say that a fair amount of cyber bullying can be solved by not being on the internet. But I also understand that this is a complex topic, and I don't want to try and provide a definite answer.

Redds

Brainrot
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 8, 2019
Pacifica
Well you said your point. Cyber bulling is bad but what you said is the same as saying dont want to crash a car? Dont drive. Cyber bulling cant be resolved with telling the victim what to do imo tell the attacker what they are doing and there consequences.

Guac

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 11, 2019
Fair comparison, but when it comes to the internet having thick skin is a very good thing to have, since a lot of people on here are mean and won't care, even if you tell them their consequences.

Reactions: Redds

Red

Maniac
Nov 4, 2018
Hellas
Being a person that gets cyber-bullied regularly, I've learned from experience, that to counter bullies, you either just ignore them, or you fight back.

The big tip, is to never take anything they say seriously. Legit, if they say anything, just respond as if they never said it, or fight back, or dismiss that and move on. Like come on, it's just a retard on the internet. Don't give them attention.
{edit: then again that's easier said than done}

There has been a case where I couldn't do anything against a cyberbully.
I was playing valve comp, and I was up against a Greek cheater.

He kept using death threats against me. And he'd always kill me.
Sadly I couldn't leave the game, 'cause I didn't want a 30 day cooldown, and I couldn't use "hud_saytext_time 0" for some reason, thus I couldn't disable text chat. So I had to stand there and get killed continuously. I tried to fight back, but struggled to text, since I didn't have the game play for itself, just like the cheater.

Most of the time I told him to get a life and stop cheating on a 13 year-old video-game.
I also remember telling him that the game is older than him.
That was smart.

r-right g-guys?
guys?
pls give me attention.

Smug Rebellion

Master Rebeller
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Apr 7, 2020
Inside the Cells of Jailbreak
Honestly whoever thought that cyberbullying was cool and wanted to spread the idea of it is just pitiful. I can't stand people being mean to others for no reason what so ever. I agree that if others can't handle cyberbullying they shouldn't be on in the first place but, being on their brings them the joy of what they like to do so something to keep in mind is that if someone is trying to cyberbully you is to just ignore them.

Prisma

The one who sees
★ Donor ★
Nov 28, 2019
When you begin to spend tons of your freetime on the internet, cyberbullying is something that often slips the mind as you run into a ton of toxic people all over the place. Thats not to say cyberbullying isn't an issue but I agree, the government builds it up as something terribly awful but they don't immediately tell us that "hey there's a handy little block button you can use." instead telling us oh you have to put up with it until you take extreme measures. I just think they need to change how they portray it in today's media as it has drastically changed over the years.

sand.

Forum Extremist
Nov 11, 2018
Finland
I find Cyberbullying really disgusting for me because it shows how immature some people are, but not only that, Cyberbullying causes a high risk of Suicide / Bad Mental Health.

I feel really sad that cyberbullying is also a cause of suicide, and I really hope that no one out there does it, because of this horrible thing that people do.