• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Declined Flaws with the Gag system

RulerOfTheFae

Forum Activist
Aug 26, 2017
Canada, Ontario
Avoiding it
Using /p (private messaging) a normal gagged player is able to avoid the gag, whether this is used to talk to admins to tell them about rules broken or used to chat with people is up to the player.

This can also be used to tell warden your meal in diner, or your joke in theater (whether that is avoiding your gag is up to the staff to decide)

Jailbreak

If you are gagged as an inmate, and warden tells you to go to diner or theater, you won't be able to do it if you don't have a mic; therefore the only way to live is either not having to go (favouritism), instant kos (unfair) or being forced to do something entirely separate from the rest of the reds so you have a chance. (This is assuming you don't abuse the private messaging to talk to warden)

Reporting people
Let's say you're gagged and you're playing Jailbreak, suddenly a sniper headshots you and nobody notices except you (because you just died), sure you can call an admin, but if there is one already online it's against the rules to use /call. You can't type in chat to tell the admin to slay the freekiller, so all you can do is either let it slide, or use private messaging to tell them. This is where it gets confusing as to when you can use /p to avoid a gag.

When is avoiding a gag allowed?
I would use PM during the week of my gag to tell wardens if they are breaking rules, tell anyone a rule if they ask, or talk to admins to help me out. I was never punished for "avoiding" my gag, as it makes sense that this would be allowed, like an exception to the rule, but other people would use /pm (and I did a bit) to chat with people normally, not to talk about rules or report, just normal conversation.

Solution to the problem?
The staff could fix the SourceComms plugin to prevent the use of /p, but by doing so that would prevent ALL communication from people without mics, and that includes important communication that helps other people or themselves, so it's debatable whether or not this should be implemented.

I posted this because when I was gagged I found multiple problems with the gag system, and I wanted to report them, but I also want the gag system to be fixed, and verification on what exactly is and isn't allowed when avoiding a gag.

MissMaye

The Overseer
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 16, 2017
Jailbreak

This is the kind of thing people need to think about before they act up. If you're going to reduce the amount of fun everyone has by spamming the chat or the mic, then it's entirely your own fault and you really would have to wait it out.

There usually doesn't seem to be a problem with the report system, it's usually more the fact staff arent able to respond at the time.

And personally using /p is perfectly fine, and if the user wants to type because they've been gagged, they can appeal here.