• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Accepted (forum) prevent staff from necro-posting on general interest threads

necro posting

• not good

• not choosing this option also counts as option 1

• not voting on the poll after viewing the thread automatically counts your vote as option 1

• 8 youre the more prolific offender for this take a hint

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMaye

The Overseer
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 16, 2017
This doesn't count towards threads that staff are required to keep updated on or may need to spend time between replies, but moreso things like 'count to 10000 before a staff member posts' or the like

nobody wants to see a thread that last post is dated july 2018 and then see 8 post in it a year and a half later (its an example)

long story short maybe put locks on threads that are still open after a long-ass time that arent gonna get posted in so that people like me who forgot to unwatch threads like 'selfie thread' and forget how to unwatch (i got it now) before this all happens

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
OK so the suggestion here is a rule against necro-posting and an auto-lock for dead threads, yes? I say that because this seems targeted towards staff, specifically me (e.g. "(forum) prevent staff from necro-posting on general interest threads," "8 youre the more prolific offender for this take a hint"). While I understand this since staff are usually the most active on the forums and we like to keep them clean (resulting in notifications from dead threads), I'd like to make it clear that anyone could necro-post and it'd be fine.

So to explain any necro-posts I do (outside of the Administrative section): I have only revived threads if I saw them as interesting and wanted to continue them (as opposed to starting a new thread on the same topic), or I was merging similar threads and one of them was dead. The first reason may sound selfish, but I honestly don't see a big issue with reviving dead threads. You get a notification of a thread you haven't posted in a while. Big woop.

But, I don't want to sound condescending. If most people find this annoying, then I'm fine with it being disallowed. As far as I know, "no necro-posting" is a staple rule in most forums anyway. For now though, I'll just wait to see what others say. Perhaps change your poll to include an option against your suggestion so that peoples' opinions can be seen more easily.

Neutral.

Reactions: Darky

MissMaye

The Overseer
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 16, 2017
I have only revived threads if I saw them as interesting and wanted to continue them
The first reason may sound selfish

I read what you said but all the same if you were anybody else reading these lines in your reply that didn't know you what do you believe they'd think

also no hate to u or anything 8 this threads just been a long time coming

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
I read what you said but all the same if you were anybody else reading these lines in your reply that didn't know you what do you believe they'd think
They'd see that I've necro-bumped threads and then agree/disagree with that decision based on if they were fine or not fine with necro-bumping. What's your point?

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
As for March 31, 2020, the forum rules have been updated to disallow necro-posting under some circumstances.

Accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.