Games you felt a personal connection with

Openfireops

Nov 24, 2019
Games, to me, are a medium that have the capability of storytelling. They've had that for a few decades now. Some make you laugh, some make you cry, some make you scared out of your life, some give you that adrenaline boost you need to kick back from that lousy day at work. I know there's at least a few people in the world that felt a certain game helped them cope or found them relatable to a point in their life. Like it's a part of them in a way. So I wanted to know if there's any games you guys felt a personal connection with.
I'll go first.
For me, it's kinda hard to say because I never truly broke out but felt something to the point of nearly breaking in tears. It's funny because it's not just games that struggle to make me emote anything other than laughter, but movies too. IDK, Schindler's List, A Quiet Place, and this one movie involving African slaves (forgot the name, but it was really brutal,) legitimately were the only films that made me cry. I guess games are harder by a margin. But two games that did make me emotional were Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Silent Hill 3. Silent Hill 3 is another game in the Silent Hill franchise. While 2's story is impossible to top, I always preferred 3 on various accounts. One of them being how much of a connection I felt. The game starts after a dream and the player, Heather, gets a call from her dad to come home from the mall. She does so, only after meeting up with a creepy man claiming to be a detective and stumbling upon monsters and two cultists.
Upon arriving home to her apartment, Heather finds her father dead, murdered by the monsters controlled by the cult leader, Claudia. Ready to take her revenge, Heather confronts her on the apartment rooftop, only to fight the monster that killed her father. Having done that, Heather is met up by the detective, who was paid to bring her to Claudia but had a change of heart, offers to take her to Silent Hill, where Claudia resides. On the way to Silent Hill, the detective gives Heather a letter from her father before his death. This song plays in the background of the scene and makes it all the more heartwrenching
as someone that lost his own father years ago, it kinda felt at home with me in a weird way. I feel like the black sheep for thinking 3 is the best, but I honestly felt the most connections with it.
Hellblade stars a girl from a celtic era who suffers from psychosis. As such, she is accompanied these voices in her head who either aid her or go out of their way to belittle her and finds delusions that obscure her path. That's not important to the plot as far as you can tell, as you're on a quest to resurrect your lover, Dillion. On your way, you must slay three gods to finish your quest and each one share a tidbit to your life. The one that caught me off guard the most was
the level where you must interact with these stones and once you do, your whole surrounding is caught on fire and you must run for your life. Happens three times I believe, but this always made me uncomfortable with the screaming of villagers. You don't see them, but it's supposedly Senua's mind bringing this back and you can't help but feel her pain.
Senua goes through a lot to save her dead boyfriend even if she might just be imagining it all, and was it worth it? Well...
She meets up Hela to fight for her boyfriend's soul. Having met up and defeating the darkness, she realizes it was her father's abuse incarnate (he was the one who killed Senua's boyfriend, as he thought Dillion was responsible for her psychosis.) One final confrontation with Hela and her warriors, and she dies. Meeting up with Dillion in the afterlife, he comforts her and tells her it's ok to lose one that you love. Coming back to the real world, Senua drops the head of Dillion into a pit, giving her final goodbyes and accepting her psychosis as part of who she is. I feel one of the things that get to me the hardest is touching on loss of a love one, I appreciate them touching on the acceptance of it too.
As someone as a disability, while nowhere severe, it has hampered my everyday action. It made me a flawed human being, but there are people out there willing to show support and acceptance. Games like Hellblade show there is hope to acceptance and education of people with disabilities can be spread. Ninja Theory, the developer, also dedicated to building a program to making games based around other disabilities, and I have to commend them for it.