TF2 How to Install Your Own Custom HUD (Windows)

sowon

Valorant
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Sep 12, 2019
united kingdom
The default Team Fortress 2 HUD isn't great, the aspect ratios are out of place, the elements are far away from the middle of your screen, and the visuals are dated. It is possible to download and install your own custom HUD to customize the visuals and elements of your HUD to fit your needs, whether you want a more minimal layout, edgier fonts, elements closer to the middle of the screen, or just curious as to how you do it, it's fairly simple to get a custom HUD working.

Step 1: Downloading Your Chosen HUD
First step is obviously to source your chosen HUD, this could be from sites like huds.tf and Gamebanana. In my case, I have downloaded rayshud from huds.tf. This will appear as a '.zip' file, which is a compressed file within Windows.

Step 2: Extracting The .zip File of Your Chosen HUD
Next step is to unzip the folder, you do this by right-clicking and pressing 'Extract All', which will then extract and unzip the .zip folder to give you an uncompressed version of the folder, which is what we need to do.

Step 3: Copying The Folder
There are multiple ways to perform this next step, but I have chosen to do a simple 'Copy' on the folder - which is done by either right-clicking and pressing 'Copy' or clicking on the folder and pressing Ctrl + C - in order to add the folder to my copied files, we need this copied for a later step.

Step 4: Importing The Folder
As we copied the folder earlier, we now need to paste it into the 'custom' folder inside Team Fortress 2, which can be done by following either of these Windows directories:
  • This PC -> Drive with Steam on it (In this case, my C: Drive) -> Program Files (x86) -> Steam -> Steamapps -> Common -> Team Fortress 2 -> tf -> custom
  • Steam Library -> Right Click TF2 -> Properties -> Local Files tab -> Browse Local Files -> tf -> custom
If you do not have a 'custom' folder, you are able to make one by right-clicking and creating a new folder.

Step 5: Verifying Your HUD Works
Lastly, we have to check our new HUD is working, so launch up TF2, and depending on your HUD choice, you should see different visual elements change, such as main menu dashboard, health and ammo placement, leaderboard layout, and even font.

Here's a screenshot of rayshud working on my Team Fortress 2, you can see the different top element, health & ammo styles and placement, as well as chat placement.

20200216224219 1

And you're done! You now have your very own custom HUD to use for your eyeballs to thank you for. Enjoy your new HUD!