How would you pronounce "Claidheamh Mór"

Jasmine

The Almighty Raisin
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 5, 2019
Ireland
So, I'm Irish, I speak a fair bit of Irish
(I know claidheamh mór is Scott's Gael for claymore, they're Irish words too)

So, as far as I know, the pronunciation would be VERY similar since they're both Gaelic dialects.
Basically the objective of this game is to see who can come the closest to the pronunciation of Claidheamh Mór (Demoman's discount Eyelander for those who dont know where I'm getting this from).

I will base the results off the pronunciation I know as I unfortunately dont know Scott's Gael.

For an example on how to write the pronunciation I will use different Irish words:
Bán - Bawn
Ceannaigh - Can-ee
Uisce - Ish-ka

The reason I made this was because I see so many people mispronouncing the sword (in Irish anyways, again, Scott's Gael could have different pronunciation but they are spelt the exact same way in both languages), so I thought this would be interesting.

Please dont Google the pronunciation, I'll react to the people with the closest pronunciations after a few days so that they know if it's right or wrong without telling everyone else.

Enjoy <3

Reactions: pancakes_

Jasmine

The Almighty Raisin
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 5, 2019
Ireland
This worked out really badly, was hoping for more people to do it but oh well, the pronunciation would actually be more like Clive More (in Irish anyways), "mh" and "bh" make a "v" sound in any type of Gael as far as I'm aware, the "ai" part makes the I sound and I believe the "ea" will be silent with the "dh", usually "dh" would usually make a "g" sound.

For an example:
Another name I use on steam: Dúil (Dool), it's the Irish for Desire.
If I was to make it Dhúil, which I believe means desired, it would be pronounced like Ghoul.
Claidheamh is a weird word since a lot of it is silent when it usually wouldn't be in other words.
I'm probably explaining a lot of unnecessary parts but I'm very awkward with people and dont know why I'm still typing.

Long story short, Clive More or Clidev More (different areas pronounce things differently so both could be right), maybe Scott's Gael is different than Irish Gael and you're spot on.