TF2 Is the Back Scatter any good?

⭐kanna

Mar 5, 2021
in spaaace
I've seen a strange increase of the use of the weapon in community servers. I've noticed that a lot of the more top of the notch players now use the Back Scatter and, surprisingly, get a lot done with it. After playing with it a bit myself, it was actually a pretty fun weapon. I've seen people ridicule the Back Scatter into oblivion, talking about how it's clip size decrease, No random crit chance, and less accuracy makes it worse than most Shotguns, Yet, I seem to get a lot more kills and points as Scout using the Back Scatter than I do with Stock or FaN. Is there one of those "secret stats" (Besides Mini-Crits from behind) I'm not aware of?

dimmy

Popular Member
Jan 24, 2020
The backscatter isn't a horrible weapon, it's just that the scattergun is better in nearly every way. More consistent damage, more shots, more accuracy, etc. OFC that doesn't mean you can't do well with it, in fact, if you play the way the weapon was intended (you know, backshots) you can prob do just as well if you had stock.

However, in a competitive scenario, no one is going to let you behind them for completely free, pretty much guaranteeing your death no matter what if you try to go behind them, completely removing the main upside of the weapon.

That's mainly the reason why I think the back-scatter just can't compete with stock, it requires the enemy to not pay attention and not hold ground. If the enemy isn't watching their flank (In casual scenarios or community servers) then it'd be a good weapon, mini crits are nothing to laugh at, but otherwise, every other stat might as well be a downgrade.
Post automatically merged:

Not to mention, in a one on one fight with any other scout that has the scattergun, you most likely will lose the fight (unless you're just insanely better)

Novaledo317

Mar 22, 2021
i personally do not like the backscatter because tf2 is very picky about being behind someone.

another thing is that the backscatter has less ammo in a mag which could be bad in most fight scenarios

so in my opinion you should just stay with the force of nature or scattergun