• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Declined JB Suggestion (Guard Pyro)

Implement this suggestion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HPRocket

Honorary Member ★
Nov 26, 2020
The United States of America
Make it so that if a guard pyro dies while a player they hit (using either a flamethrower or a flare) is still on fire, the burning effect is removed from the player on the death of the pyro. The reasoning for this is so that any pyro that may accidentally mass freehit others would be able to stop it from proceeding to mass freekill by killbinding.

Coal

B r u h M o m e n t
★ Donor ★
Aug 23, 2019
the Snowy Winterlands
I personally don't believe this should be implemented because afterburn can be deadly and even though said pyro died, the rebeller they were trying to kill could still die from afterburn. This feels situational, and I'm not a coder but sounds hard to implement and could cause some exploits, maybe, and pyros could light the entire red team on fire and mass free hit intentionally and kill bind.

DiscountIvy

★ Donor ★
May 4, 2020
So, I'm going to vote +1 on this suggestion, here's the reasoning behind the vote;

1) Although yes, afterburn can be a deadly thing, its a pretty infrequent situation to kill a rebeller with said afterburn, and here's the reasons why:
First of all the classes' different aspects, such as health, damage output, optimal range.

Scout, he will probably have enough speed to get to run to a pool of water or into medic.
Soldier, he will have enough health to survive the afterburn, since he will be able to withstand the fire for longer, can also rocket jump to medic or water.
Pyro, no afterburn damage dealt to him.
Heavy, same as soldier, except he will just survive due to massive health pool.
Engi, if you don't manage to kill him, you probably won't deal enough damage to kill him with afterburn either.
Demo, will probably be demoknight, more health, more fire resistance, a way to self extinguish.
Sniper, if you get close to him, he will almost always die, but otherwise you've got no way to even set him on fire, unless you have the scorch shot, which is very underequiped in jailbreak.
Medic, self heal basically grants a resistance against afterburn.
Spy, probably the most vulnerable class to afterburn, but still, if you die to a spy as pyro, no way would you have dealt enough damage to him in the first place.

Second of all, most maps have areas where you can heal yourself, or self extinguish, making afterburn almost useless anyways.
2)The finish of afterburn provides a new way to rebel (kind of), as you can extinguish yourself by killing the pyro.
3)It can stop mass freekillers for killing more REDs, if someone can kill the mass freekilling pyro.
4)If you accidentally set a bunch of REDs on fire you can quickly revert your mistake by slaying yourself to avoid any of them dying.
5)This change can be beneficial to both teams, if you kill a rebelling pyro with ammo, you can save yourself from afterburn.

Post automatically merged:

Also, why would someone mass freehit for fun, then slay themselves, its still going to result in a guardban, and will only stall the round for at most 1 minute. Most of those kinds of people will go directly for mass freekill, and this implementation is more than adequate for those situations.

Last edited:

HPRocket

Honorary Member ★
Nov 26, 2020
The United States of America
I personally don't believe this should be implemented because afterburn can be deadly and even though said pyro died, the rebeller they were trying to kill could still die from afterburn. This feels situational, and I'm not a coder but sounds hard to implement and could cause some exploits, maybe, and pyros could light the entire red team on fire and mass free hit intentionally and kill bind.
Thank you for your feedback, Coal.
So the point of the pyro dying was to prevent said rebeller/red from dying to afterburn (maybe even return ~5 health as compensation to prevent bugs?). Now, the accuracy and timing of this would be up to the developers. If the pyro did intentionally mass freehit then killbind, that could eventually lead to punishments being administered towards them; just like a demoman using a sticky launcher and launching them into a bunch of reds.

Smug Rebellion

Master Rebeller
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Apr 7, 2020
Inside the Cells of Jailbreak
This would be good to implement as if the guard pyro dies the after burn is removed. The only problem I see with this is that if the guard pyro is hunting rebellers and the rebeller kills him while being on say a low health to where the after burn would work, it would extinguish itself making the rebeller get away. I can see this work in the future but, maybe implement in a way that only applies to mass freekillers.

Mr.buzz

★ Donor ★
Jun 9, 2020
So, I'm going to vote +1 on this suggestion, here's the reasoning behind the vote;

1) Although yes, afterburn can be a deadly thing, its a pretty infrequent situation to kill a rebeller with said afterburn, and here's the reasons why:
First of all the classes' different aspects, such as health, damage output, optimal range.

Scout, he will probably have enough speed to get to run to a pool of water or into medic.
Soldier, he will have enough health to survive the afterburn, since he will be able to withstand the fire for longer, can also rocket jump to medic or water.
Pyro, no afterburn damage dealt to him.
Heavy, same as soldier, except he will just survive due to massive health pool.
Engi, if you don't manage to kill him, you probably won't deal enough damage to kill him with afterburn either.
Demo, will probably be demoknight, more health, more fire resistance, a way to self extinguish.
Sniper, if you get close to him, he will almost always die, but otherwise you've got no way to even set him on fire, unless you have the scorch shot, which is very underequiped in jailbreak.
Medic, self heal basically grants a resistance against afterburn.
Spy, probably the most vulnerable class to afterburn, but still, if you die to a spy as pyro, no way would you have dealt enough damage to him in the first place.

Second of all, most maps have areas where you can heal yourself, or self extinguish, making afterburn almost useless anyways.
2)The finish of afterburn provides a new way to rebel (kind of), as you can extinguish yourself by killing the pyro.
3)It can stop mass freekillers for killing more REDs, if someone can kill the mass freekilling pyro.
4)If you accidentally set a bunch of REDs on fire you can quickly revert your mistake by slaying yourself to avoid any of them dying.
5)This change can be beneficial to both teams, if you kill a rebelling pyro with ammo, you can save yourself from afterburn.

Post automatically merged:

Also, why would someone mass freehit for fun, then slay themselves, its still going to result in a guardban, and will only stall the round for at most 1 minute. Most of those kinds of people will go directly for mass freekill, and this implementation is more than adequate for those situations.
I would agree due to the points brought up by this guy

lolnutt

what the pog doin?
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Feb 18, 2020
The Deep
In my opinion this suggestion is too situational. Even with what ivy said about the rebelling and how you would deal with them, I cannot come up with a way to make this more balanced to both teams. So far it has only been suggested as a way to deal with a accidental mass free hit/ freekill (or intentional mass feehits and free kills). But it could also be used against blues. At the moment as it has been suggested I cannot see a way for it to be implemented in a balanced way -1

DiscountIvy

★ Donor ★
May 4, 2020
Maybe do the "remove afterburn on death" only if there are 3 or more enemies on fire. That would focus on freehitters and freekillers, and would allow afterburn to do its job if a 1 or 2 reds attacked at once.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
The poll seems mixed, although leaning against. I've decided to post this thread on the Discord server. After 1 week, if there's majority support for this in the polls and/or the replies, I'll leave the thread open; but if there's still a lack of interest, or there's still majority opposition/mixed votes, this will be declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.