Lore simple vs complex what do you think is better?

JayTheSquidy

★ Donor ★
Jul 30, 2018
My best example for simplified lore would be TF2, while it does have a lore it never really seemed like it was too deep and really just meant to be funny, but still had great storytelling. Now an example of a complex lore would probably be more like the call of duty zombies franchise, while seemed simple at first it proceeded to expand on its lore. Making it confusing to the newer users but a good payoff for those who actually paid attention and enjoyed attention to detail. So in your guys opinion what do you think is better?

Tonic

Reconnected
★ Donor ★
Nov 9, 2019
The Edge of the World
I personally like games with more complex/hidden lore. Games that have you figure out the lore to everything rather than just tell you everything is a much more effective way of storytelling rather than if you learn of everything immediately. It makes you look more in-depth into things and feels much more rewarding.

Reactions: JayTheSquidy

Stelle

BIG WINS 🤑🤑🤑
Banned
★ Donor ★
Sep 25, 2021
h
im with stryder on this. games that make you actually figure out the lore rather it just telling you it directly is a lot more fun and it actually makes you put effort into figuring it out

Hershey

Jun 25, 2018
United States
I like games with either a lot, and I mean a lot of lore or complex and hidden lore. It rewards players for finding everything and being able to connect everything and understand the world the developers created. While I don't mind the odd story that lays it all out, more complex is always better in my opinion
Sometimes a mix is good as well, TF2 has its comics but has its hidden gems players have to look for to find, like how Mad Milk is not a milk substance, or that Bonk is made of literal radiation and has doses of sugar large enough to kill scout.

Sezei

most inactive ex. staff as of now
★ Donor ★
Jun 16, 2018
salt sea of saltiness
lore complex would be the best answer imo; where's the fun of discovering why something happened if they already tell you that at the beginning? like, sure, i'm fine if they tell a small part of the story and we find out about it ourselves mid-play and stuff, but if they tell EVERYTHING at the beginning... nah. it also increases world building and stuff, so killing 2 birds with 1 stone is the best option here.