TF2 Made my own server, advise needed. (No, i'm not advertising)

Oct 18, 2020
I'd like to know my options for RCON programs i could use for windows 10.
Post automatically merged:

...and what entity to use for map teleports. Like when you go into a building on goldenrod city.

Last edited:

floot_guy

floot_guy
★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
floot_guy
idk much about servers but some people suggest to use cheat engine to change certain values when setting up a server. Never do it, you'll get a VACban
Use plugins. lots of em. Plugins, scripting sourcemods...
advertise your server via your steam group or youtube.

floot_guy

floot_guy
★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
floot_guy
Have never heard anyone in the history of ever tell people to use cheat engine to modify anything when setting up a server
I had a friend on steam who used to set up his own server. One day he got vac banned for using cheat engine. Before the banwave, it was possible to inject tf2 without having a ban using cheat engine as it was manual. This method is now outdated.
I don't know what values he was trying to modify but it happened.

I went Gameservers.com. Don't think they mentioned rcon.
i should be more descriptive

my original description is wrong, srcds isn't an rcon program, it's what starts the server and gives you a console. you can perform commands server-side with the console provided by srcds. rcon (remote console) is what server administrators can use to perform server-side console commands in their local console.

rcon passwords can be set using the srcds console (or server.cfg) with rcon_password "pass name here"

administrators playing tf2 can use rcon by typing "rcon_password 'whatever you set it to';" in their local console.

if you buy a server hoster, like crident or nodecraft, a console will be provided to you.

using rcon is fairly simple, just type "rcon <whatever command>" in your local console

clients that don't have the rcon password will only be able to use client-side commands, i.e "viewmodel_fov 70"

clients with the rcon password can run server-side commands, i.e "rcon sv_cheats 1"