• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Declined mod application extra question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddomonki-

Apr 11, 2018
hello there, i want to suggest a new question to be added to the mod application or maybe merged with question 8 or 9 somehow, the question is "what do you think about the community? and what do you like most about it?"
i think if this question was added it would give insight and perspective on the applicant trying to become a part of the staff,and also how much passion they have for the community .

Rain

Frog
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
May 10, 2018
Roundabout City
While I get where you're coming from and I think it's certainly a good thought, I'll have to disagree with you. First off, what YoutuberChris said is completely true. And personally I think there are two kinds of applicants; we have the bad kind of applicant who only wants a fancy title and staff powers on the servers, and the good kind of applicant who genuinely wants to help out. The former would very likely take advantage of that question and be a complete suck-up, just like Chris mentioned.

Reddomonki-

Apr 11, 2018
The thing is, it wouldn’t be that hard for someone to just be a kiss up and say as many positive things as possible and not mean it so I feel like it wouldn’t be completely worth it.
i thought about this too when i wrote the post, but if you can see they are clearly kissing up it could give insight about if the applicant is really serious for the community i saw this mod application (i typically read them to see myself examples on how to write one) not going to mention which one but there was one answer that was kissing up to the admins which mentioned that the staff team was perfect in my opinion this shows they just wanted the title and wasn't serious, now i dont mean disrespect on the staff not being perfect they are pretty good and do there job seriously i just think that there is always room for improvement and with this question the applicants would have to get a bit creative with there answer with maybe a few examples or something outside the box because if someone just straight up said "i like this community because its so nice" i would think its a bit generic where someone who is really serious about this community and knows would maybe say "i like this community because playing with the staff and other players because when we goof around its so much fun like going into sewers and having a huge conga party on 2fort" but thats just an example this question is more like kinda to give a feel on the applicant and how much they like playing on the wonderland servers

Last edited:
Reactions: vikingo12

RulerOfTheFae

Forum Activist
Aug 26, 2017
Canada, Ontario
I'd have to agree and disagree, I'd disagree because yes they can be a suck up, and it's not always obvious, they can just suck up a little to make themself seem better than they are, for example if I said:
"This is a wonderful community, and while there are problems with it as everything has its own problems, it's much better than most but I feel like it needs more administration and so that's why I'm applying."
That would be me lying, because while I do believe it is a great network with fun staff that also takes this seriously, it's not nearly perfect, it has many problems, a lot of which involve the amount of servers, with over 200+ if 1 person broke a rule on every server, only about 14 of them would be punished if a someone doesn't record for proof to the admins.
A more serious person that truly wants a role as admin to help out wouldn't suck up, they'd know to give an honest answer and say the pros and cons without being biased.
For example:
"I do believe Wonderland.tf is a wonderful community, and with fun people, and while that may be true, it has issues, lots of them. Whether that involves the rules, staff being unable to help out for whatever reason, trolls, or just people throughout the community, and I believe if I were to join the team of staff, I could make a difference and benefit the community in some way."
(That's not a full answer, just a shortened version of what I'd write)
So while I'd disagree because of suckups, I'd rather agree with this as you can spot a suckup as they'll be more generous with any compliments, while a serious application will give a full honest answer, even if it says some negative things about the community.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
I don't see what this adds to the application process, in fact I think at best it'd be repetitive. By this, what I mean is that we already have questions asking applicants what they want to improve about the community, which is similiar to giving feedback on it, essentially what you're suggesting now. Furthermore,
i think if this question was added it would give insight and perspective on the applicant trying to become a part of the staff,and also how much passion they have for the community .
We already cover this sufficiently with the current application system, again with question 4 but also the other questions & analyzing their overall behavior in the community.

And finally, if an applicant is going to suck-up & make a generic answer with that question, then they'll most likely poorly answer other questions as well, or otherwise just be a bad applicant that will be declined with or without adding this.

Anyway, for all the reasoning I've stated, I will be declining this suggestion. Thank you for suggesting anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.