Opinions on firearm laws and restrictions.

radical oil

Jun 14, 2019
I am making this thread because I am turning 17 tomorrow and I asked my parents if I could get my first rifle. Nothing crazy, just a .22lr bolt action, but they said yes being that I am on the school rifle team so I already know about firearm safety etc. I told some of my friends who all seemed to have different reactions. The more conservative people said that I should have gotten a bigger caliber, and the more liberal folk said it should be illegal for a 17 year old to even be in possession of a firearm.

Basically I was wondering what your opinions are on the age restrictions on guns and other laws and stuff. For example, I found out yesterday that in California, it’s actually illegal to have a gun with a thumb hole, which I genuinely don’t understand. Anyways, post your opinions on here on different laws relating to firearms in whatever country you’re in, not just the US.

Redds

Brainrot
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 8, 2019
Pacifica
I honestly never cared much if someone owns a gun or not. However the only exception, is if I know them personally and I know they are somewhat unwell/dealing with a situation at home.

radical oil

Jun 14, 2019
Having firearms being openly purchasable for the public doesn't make any sense.

The USA is full of shootings as people are able to just go buy a gun quite easily (background check or not).

What are your opinions of laws in Canada? There’s a lot of restrictions to prevent mass shootings such as a 5 round ammo capacity in all weapons.
Also I can tell you first hand that with all of the Antifa terrorism currently happening here, that it is essential for citizens, (particularly the white elderly) to be armed. People have been getting attacked by those thugs left and right and I think it’s fair to be able to defend yourself from violence.

Preacher Platinum

Legally, you suck.
★ Donor ★
Aug 2, 2019
Gun or not, if someone wants to cause chaos, they can. Knives, bats, you name it. To be honest, guns are an essential need for people who don't want to cause chaos because they are a quick and easy defense tool.

Also, why are you buying a gun for no apparent reason?

radical oil

Jun 14, 2019
Also, why are you buying a gun for no apparent reason?

a. My parents only have 1 gun in the house and it’s a snub nosed revolver, so it’s partly for my own piece of mind even though it’s a bolt action .22, I’d rather have something to defend myself than nothing.
b. I’m on the school rifle team and we haven’t met in months. I get a lot of satisfaction from shooting perfect targets so I’m trying to do some of that over the summer.

Tinkinator

Trade Unionist Civilian
★ Donor ★
Nov 23, 2019
United Kingdom
Well in the UK we get very, very low gun violence because guess what... guns are illegal for the vast majority of people.

You can only get them in certain areas for agricultural or recreational purposes, such as firing 50.cal rifles at a gun range or shooting bunnies who are eating crop.

My uncle does part time pest control on local farms, using a subsonic sniper rifle that he is licensed to use for pest control. He essentially gets free food by making rabbit curry from shooting those pests, delicious!

However, if you Americans care about the "2nd Amendment" so much, then at least have thorough background checks be required in order to purchase a gun.

Just my perspective.