Out of interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificShroud

Aug 2, 2018
What are people outside of Africa told about what Africa is like.

I had a rather rude conversation with many Americans who think Africa is just poor and filled with Ebola... what are they teaching at your schools that makes you think the worst of use when we produce all the natural resources (At least the most) in any country in the world, the most Diamonds and Gold and yet we are considered poor and disease ridden? WHY?

Mifil

I like Touhou
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 5, 2018
Is this really a question worth debating? Africa is the poorest continent in the world (not counting Antarctica here, for obvious reasons), with it's total wealth reaching mere 3 trillion dollars (compared to for example SA's 8 trillion dollars, Oceania at 9 trillion dollars), several countries in Africa having the lowest GDP per capita / HDI on Earth. Most of Africa is factually poor. That isn't to say places like Nigeria or certain countries in Arab Belt aren't doing well. However, several countries in Africa are currently going through civil wars, internal conflicts, terrorism. Because the country is rich in resources, it doesn't mean the country itself is rich.

PacificShroud

Aug 2, 2018
Is this really a question worth debating? Africa is the poorest continent in the world (not counting Antarctica here, for obvious reasons), with it's total wealth reaching mere 3 trillion dollars (compared to for example SA's 8 trillion dollars, Oceania at 9 trillion dollars), several countries in Africa having the lowest GDP per capita / HDI on Earth. Most of Africa is factually poor. That isn't to say places like Nigeria or certain countries in Arab Belt aren't doing well. However, several countries in Africa are currently going through civil wars, internal conflicts, terrorism. Because the country is rich in resources, it doesn't mean the country itself is rich.

The country may not be rich by monetary standards which is what annoys me. The fact that everyone measures gains or happiness by wealth is a very capitalistic way of looking at things. Yes we have a low GDP but the fact that we have the most natural reasources than ANY country in the world surprises me when people think that we are not living healthily. I am currently messaging you from South Africa, that in of itself shows that I am on your standards

Mifil

I like Touhou
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 5, 2018
The country may not be rich by monetary standards which is what annoys me. The fact that everyone measures gains or happiness by wealth is a very capitalistic way of looking at things. Yes we have a low GDP but the fact that we have the most natural reasources than ANY country in the world surprises me when people think that we are not living healthily. I am currently messaging you from South Africa, that in of itself shows that I am on your standards
It is not entirely measured by wealth. HDI is not only measured by a standard of living, but also population knowledge, as well as by "long and healthy life".
South Africa itself is in BRICS, an economic alliance. To say that South Africa is not important to the world stage may be incorrect, depending on which definition a country is important on the world stage, but to say the standard of living is similiar to this of for example Germany is rather foolish. It's also not like South Africa doesn't have internal problems based on racial-ethnical identity.
Again, nearly all African countries have well developed capitals/cities, yet the rural states aren't comparable to those of Europe's.
Resources such as diamonds or gold are very different subject.

PacificShroud

Aug 2, 2018
It is not entirely measured by wealth. HDI is not only measured by a standard of living, but also population knowledge, as well as by "long and healthy life".
South Africa itself is in BRICS, an economic alliance. To say that South Africa is not important to the world stage may be incorrect, depending on which definition a country is important on the world stage, but to say the standard of living is similiar to this of for example Germany is rather foolish. It's also not like South Africa doesn't have internal problems based on racial-ethnical identity.
Again, nearly all African countries have well developed capitals/cities, yet the rural states aren't comparable to those of Europe's.
Resources such as diamonds or gold are very different subject.

No you are 100% correct on those fronts, the racial situation is becoming HORRIBLE. Blacks hating whites, whites hating whites, whites hating blacks... etc. It's currently showing how bad things can be. If you get out of this slump (which might never happen.) I think we stand a chance to be first world. Hopefully at least. Yet you seem knowledgeable which is a nice discussion to have. Thank you for your input it is rather genuine

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
What vex said above, most of my knowledge of Africa comes from personal interest. Anyway I am curious of one thing: How's it like to completely surround one country and almost another?

Tomato Kat ♡

Oct 24, 2017
Spain
Africa has always been a very rich continent (but let's just not count wealth as monetary wealth, but as a mixture of many different but important things such as culture, folklore, religion, cuisine, music, etc...) we need to take in mind that Africans are spread throughout the world and they have influenced people in many ways, you could not even imagine
However, the disgusting imperialism led by the white man almost destroyed any future hopes and did let Africa sink down in a spiral of hatred, poverty and death.
There are though some countries that kinda managed to escape from the claws and are now strieving for a better world in general.

And to answer your question.
No, we don't get taught that Africa is AIDS and etc.

And i'm of African origin btw :catbox:

PacificShroud

Aug 2, 2018
Africa has always been a very rich continent (but let's just not count wealth as monetary wealth, but as a mixture of many different but important things such as culture, folklore, religion, cuisine, music, etc...) we need to take in mind that Africans are spread throughout the world and they have influenced people in many ways, you could not even imagine
However, the disgusting imperialism led by the white man almost destroyed any future hopes and did let Africa sink down in a spiral of hatred, poverty and death.
There are though some countries that kinda managed to escape from the claws and are now strieving for a better world in general.

And to answer your question.
No, we don't get taught that Africa is AIDS and etc.

You are right on many points, except that white person comment. Black people NOR white people "own" South Africa. That is an on going debate but if people actually took time to do research they would see that the North Africans (Blacks) invaded and then the white people did, first the Dutch then the British. The San and Koi own this country, therefor TRUE coloured people own this place, and they are only 300 people that are pure Coloured left. So at this point, it does not belong to anyone. White or Black.

Status
Not open for further replies.