• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Accepted Remove non melee weapons in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronarena

Mapper
Sep 3, 2018
Here's a little example of why I think you should.

Image.

There's also the possibility on maps like multirun that death could be killed by stickies or pipes being thrown over the wall and the fact there is no roof there (I hope to fix that eventually, but my point still stands on safety first).

Probably some other reasons out there but I'll add them when I come across them. I just don't like non melee weapons in DR.

Have a nice day.

• Sad
Reactions: pancakes_

Xypher

Owner ★★★
Jul 11, 2017
the clouds
Here's a little example of why I think you should.

Image.

There's also the possibility on maps like multirun that death could be killed by stickies or pipes being thrown over the wall and the fact there is no roof there (I hope to fix that eventually, but my point still stands on safety first).

Probably some other reasons out there but I'll add them when I come across them. I just don't like non melee weapons in DR.

Have a nice day.
The weapons should do no damage, are you sure this is the case?

Coronarena

Mapper
Sep 3, 2018
The weapons should do no damage, are you sure this is the case?

The damage part I'm note sure about, I haven't tested. But the safety first part throwing the boxes around was what I was mainly concerned about, as it killed a lot of people, and made it much harder to cross when you don't know where the hell the boxes are going.
Post automatically merged:

Here's a video I did real quick, since I didn't make one while on wonderland. The effect is the same if anyone else cares to do it on the server though.

Last edited:

Coronarena

Mapper
Sep 3, 2018
Do you know of any other maps besides Safety First where weapons could be used to exploit?

None right now. I intend to look around for similar examples, but I don't expect to find too many. Problems will likely only arrise if the map designer had no idea what they were doing, or the map has general physics objects that are fully solid to world (which in safety first's case is totally understandable).

Understandable if this suggestion doesn't get accepted since it's only really been noticed on safety first. Depends on everyone else's opinion.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
Well I don't really see much purpose for allowing weapons on Deathrun besides for people to just fuck around with them I guess, if they feel too restless with only melee. If anything though I feel people would prefer something like BHOP rather than weapons, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Either way +1, weapons just seem to add issues. Safety First is a good map and I don't think we should need to specifically police it or consider editing/removal of it because of this.

Coronarena

Mapper
Sep 3, 2018
Is this only achievable with Demoman? Or is there other ways to abuse this?

Either way, I don't see a purpose then. +1

I can't think of any other way to abuse this, since I think it's only sticky bombs that stay still until detonated or moved/destroyed in some way because of the enemy team. (I think demo pipes would get knocked off, and things like rockets and arrows won't make the boxes budge).

Reactions: Stao

Coronarena

Mapper
Sep 3, 2018
Looking back at this thread, I don't know if this has been fixed, but you can activate traps with weapons. I often did it as heavy with the minigun spun up, to gain a small advantage, removing the day of the melee swing. If this is still a thing (here), then instead of my initial statement of killing death, they could possibly just ruin it entirely by tossing stickies over a wall. Sure it's unlikely to happen, and is more effort then it's likely worth, but this is TF2, and people should expect unexpected events like this.

Anyway continue to post questions or comments on this since I'm now pretty determined to get weapons removed, since they're only really there for cosmetic value, and as stated, they create more problems than they solve.

Reactions: Stao

rat

Jun 15, 2018
estonia
In some maps, stickies can be used to activate traps and/or damage or even kill BLU. This is really annoying, especially if it's a freerun.
From personal experience I know that most demomen wont stop if you ask them or threaten to report them, and even then some have persisted after a mod/admin has told them off.

My solution? Just get rid of stickies and replace them with shields or something when equipped, same as the amputator for the medic or base jumper for the soldier.

Neliel

Laureline
★ Donor ★
Nov 26, 2018
the ISS
As far as I know, this is an old exploit that only works by turning your weapon australium via /australium. I have tested the non australium variants and they did not work. Instead of removing the weapon, I'd much rather see removing the /australium command or fixing the bug.

Coronarena

Mapper
Sep 3, 2018
I don't know about killing blu, or as Neliel mentioned, Australium. Never tried. Although as far as I know, they can be used to activate traps in a map like "Multirun" or in a map like "safety first", cheat the game by ending it earlier, because of how the buttons work (I mentioned this in a suggestion I did about removing weapons in general, as all they do is cause problems).

Either way, I'd like to see not just the sticky launcher removed, but rather all weapons, since they're purely cosmetic, but in some maps, they cause problems.

+1

rat

Jun 15, 2018
estonia
The reason I'm making this suggestion is largely due to an earlier dr match I had. We were playing on dr_sawmill, and you can activate the traps as a demoman, and also hurt or possibly kill whoever's on BLU. It actually happened once, we had 7 demos and they killed BLU 3 times before the match started.

Also aformentioned, it's very annoying on dr_safety_first as well on the crates but as far as I know that's all you can do there.

There's also dr_horrors. Not every trap can be activated by RED, but some can with stickies and on scout, the wrap assassin. I know there are other maps aswell that it is possible on but they're either too unpopular to be played that often.

Coronarena

Mapper
Sep 3, 2018
-1. that feeling when a heavy throws you a sandwich

Yes that's one thing I'd miss, but that's as a fun cosmetic standpoint. The more competitive of us (I take dr very seriously), would prefer fair and predictable events in maps, and having other secondary weapons to screw up even 1 thing, isn't worth a sandwich (god that hurt to say).

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
Sticky Launchers, Grenade Launchers, and Rocket Launchers are temporarily disabled.

Leaving open for further suggestions/thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.