Sniping tips

Malfunction

★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
May 1, 2018
Don't wear very bright cosmetics, whether painted or natural, and don't wear anything with an unusual effect. Drawing attention to yourself and making yourself much easier to see is especially bad for Sniper. Try to hide inside or behind objects when long-range sniping. Many maps have some form of foliage for you to crouch in or a decent spot for taking cover and being able to snipe.

Neliel

Laureline
★ Donor ★
Nov 26, 2018
the ISS
I'd give some if not for my sudden loss of sniping skill, that ocured for god knows what reason. Second scoping doesn't do you good at learning. Fastest way to learn sniping is just playing casual or experimenting on tr_walkway for airshots. If you plan to become a god at sniper and main the class, try watching sirky on youtube. Search something like "sirky tf2 sniping"...

Jasmine

The Almighty Raisin
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 5, 2019
Ireland
Don't second scope, ever, I'm not the greatest sniper in the world but second scoping will never help you get good at sniping, you will learn to rely on it and that's just bad.
What helped me get somewhat decent is loading up tr_walkway and shooting some bots, learning the hitboxes of each class and getting comfortable being able to flick to/predict where the head is/will be.
Just NEVER second scope, it will get you kills, but it won't make you good.

Captain Weeb

Oh Captain My Captain
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Dec 31, 2017
New York, United States of America
Use machina/piss rifle/huntsman and go for bodyshots only :D.

But in all seriousness, a good sniper always has a good position. Make sure that you are positioned in a way that will have your team for support, in enemy line of sight, and as protected as possible. Also, utilize secondaries and melee's. If you prefer more cqc, I'd recommen taking either the smg or jarate (with bushwaka). I usually use kukri, but the shiv is pretty good. Since I'm not the greatest shot, I can rely more on game sense and utilities to make me a bigger threat then I would be. And that's the key to sniper, terrify the enemy.

StarOfSouls

Wired
★ Donor ★
Aug 5, 2018
Mostly practice will get you better, but also make sure you have a good sensitivity. Do not go and look up good sensitivities, because it is something only you can find for yourself. That can make a huge difference, especially if you can make fast motions just as well as you can make precise ones. When you go to practice, I personally recommend to play on official TF2 maps in casual rather than on specific practice maps. This gives you different environments to adjust to and more understanding of what obstacles may be in your way when you snipe, as opposed to a simple map designed for optimal sniping. If you make it easy, you won't get good.