• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Pending Discord Suggestion on reworking your discord punishment guidelines/policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bappo

Jun 10, 2018
Japan
Enjoy reading all of this @ParaFlaX

So first let me start off with the obvious, me getting banned and then permanently isolated with a 6 month waiting time is ridiculous from my point of view.

Calling someone a cum dumpster and getting such a visceral reaction from upper staff when people are telling each other to kill themselves gets no reaction whatsoever from staff, is an oxymoron. Furthermore you have incidents where I wrote "i love gay sex and cock its all i think about", which had no reaction from staff either, and instead got liked and put in a channel called "we-liked-this" by 8 or more people, several of whom are staff members. Along with numerous occasions where NSFW posts have been made, with no reaction from staff either. If you truly are so keen on hosting a safe environment for minors, then you would keep your policies consistent rather than what is seemingly random and at the discretion of whoever just happens to be there at the time.

It's become painfully obvious to me that one of three things is happening, either your punishment guidelines or policies are outdated, non-existent, or flat out ignored by some staff members.

There is a major double standard when it comes to what is said in the discord, and what is acted upon. Another example is prior to beetleplex getting permanently isolated, he responded to a message I wrote with "I love your menstruation globs" or something along those lines, which still, didn't get a reaction from staff.

Had you chosen to stay consistent on your punishments to messages written on the discord, I would not be sitting here holding the burden of your inconsistencies. Where instead of me believing my message was a weird one, sure, but still allowed, rather than such a monstrous message that I deserve to be removed from the community as a whole.

Your current way of handling things creates a massive headache for not only you, but the person who gets punished for their actions. The main concern I have is that you have no current way of communicating the ban reasoning and no intention of communicating with the accused prior to any actions taken. This leaves a massive grey area where you may end up wrongfully punishing someone, and then having to walk back on it pending an appeal.

My suggestion is that you completely overhaul your guidelines when dealing with situation on the discord. Instead of taking whatever is said at face-value, determining the intention of the situation arbitrarily and/or simply electing to disregard it. Rework your isolation system into a way of getting information PRIOR to taking any actions against people, let them tell their side of the story, and then you can make a decision, this may seems like a lot of work on your end, however in the long run, it prevents situations from occurring repeatedly where a person said something that was taken out of context, or without the intention of causing harm.

Obviously if you have someone who does something egregious like racism, nazism, paedophilia and so forth, then you should get rid of them immediately. But when approaching nuanced situations like mine, it would've proven both you and me helpful, had you talked to me before making a decision on banning me.

Should you elect to disregard my suggestion, its your prerogative, however I truly believe that doing even minor steps such as communicating with the accused prior to taking action could prove beneficial for the community as a whole.

Keep in mind this is not a new ban or isolation appeal, this is a genuine suggestion for you to change things for the better.

Last edited:
  • Minus
Reactions: MightyMitch618

MightyMitch618

Clock With Legs
Honorary Member ★
Jul 3, 2023
If I’m being honest, the only reason some of the other stuff you said didn’t get punished or warned for was because nobody reported it to staff, or if they did see it, they had no response (at least publicly). While it’s a big joke, it’s true, staff don’t see everything, which is why reporting is a big part of it. Me personally, I thought about reporting some of the things you said, but I ended up not doing it due to you being a well known community member, so I left the more “minor” things alone. However, most people at this point know you can show off some odd behavior, like the “I love” and all that statement. Sure, it was minor NSFW, but this wasn’t directed at anyone, ESPECIALLY anyone who is a minor. This was a comment, a joke comment, about yourself, which is much different than what you called a minor staff. The issue isn’t the fact staff let you get away with it, it’s the fact nobody reported it. Safe to say I’m not going to let someone’s friendship with higher ups make me not report them from now on, just like Beetle.

Captain Glenavon

Honorary Member ★
May 27, 2020
France
I think the main issue was that you said that directed at a minor (big no-no)
While we all know this. I'm conflicted on who to believe is right and wrong. In my judgment, I'd say, yeah.. Sure, the staff member was quick to draw the gun and make a decision.. but I say it is justified. We as a community have history of past events involving minors and adults not doing things they should be doing, so I can understand the action that was taken was done so swiftly.

@bappo You have been a community member for a long time. And by now I think you should very well know not to joke about things like that knowing that a lot of members of this community and discord are younger members, plus from your own age as well. I know you couldn't have possibly known that staff's age either, but you also have known better. But again I get it, we all make mistakes-- I've certainly made alot myself here and paid the price. I'm not here to call shots and point fingers at people. I'm just here to give my two cents. Thank you

The Baller

Mapper
May 15, 2021
While we all know this. I'm conflicted on who to believe is right and wrong. In my judgment, I'd say, yeah.. Sure, the staff member was quick to draw the gun and make a decision.. but I say it is justified. We as a community have history of past events involving minors and adults not doing things they should be doing, so I can understand the action that was taken was done so swiftly.

@bappo You have been a community member for a long time. And by now I think you should very well know not to joke about things like that knowing that a lot of members of this community and discord are younger members, plus from your own age as well. I know you couldn't have possibly known that staff's age either, but you also have known better. But again I get it, we all make mistakes-- I've certainly made alot myself here and paid the price. I'm not here to call shots and point fingers at people. I'm just here to give my two cents. Thank you
Flashbacks of the Reddit posts about wln pedos

Stump

Back
Admin ★
★ Donor ★
Dec 26, 2018
England
This whole debate just comes down to using common sense.

I agree that some of the shit that gets passed as "just a joke" (and ends up on starboard) does completely cross the line, and we are all guilty of encouraging it.

The problem is when people take these fringe jokes and then DIRECT them at people. When you do that, you have no clue how it would affect them, and, as in your case, have no clue whether they're a minor or not.

I completely agree that the discord rules need a re-do, they are far too vague.

In the future, just think before you post, and check who you're directing a post towards.

MightyMitch618

Clock With Legs
Honorary Member ★
Jul 3, 2023
This whole debate just comes down to using common sense.

I agree that some of the shit that gets passed as "just a joke" (and ends up on starboard) does completely cross the line, and we are all guilty of encouraging it.

The problem is when people take these fringe jokes and then DIRECT them at people. When you do that, you have no clue how it would affect them, and, as in your case, have no clue whether they're a minor or not.

I completely agree that the discord rules need a re-do, they are far too vague.

In the future, just think before you post, and check who you're directing a post towards.
I personally think that the Discord server rules are fine as is. I don’t think it takes much explanation why you don’t call someone a “cum dump” to begin with, like for what purpose. I can understand being jokey about it, but that’s something to keep with a friend group, not in a Public Discord server full of minors.

smelvin

Senior Admin ★★
Jailbreak Manager ★
★ Donor ★
Jun 26, 2022
The first message that ended up in the starboard chat should've resulted in a warning, which is the fault of the staff members who ignored the message and led to it ending up in that chat.

You've seen how inactive some of the staff members can be, so without reporting someone saying NSFW things, it frequently goes unnoticed (like the case with BeetlePlex, who is permanently isolated and cannot appeal without permission from a Head Admin). In your case, there was a report for your second message.

I'm not really sure where you got the idea that it would be a funny thing to call a staff member, or anyone else, for that fact. As @Captain Glenavon said above, you've been around for years, even longer than I have. You should've known better than to call someone that.

I don't really see how the punishment guidelines for the discord would be outdated. There isn't much that could or should be changed, especially our ruling on NSFW content, which has stayed consistent at an indefinite isolation or ban depending on those involved.

What changes would you suggest for us to make to the discord punishment guidelines? You suggested to "get information prior to taking any actions against people and let them tell their side of the story," but this only gives further opportunity to those involved to cause more conflicts, which is why we punish and wait for an appeal so they can explain their side of the story before staff make a final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.