• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Declined Trade Server Sniping Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaidMinerFIN

Apr 2, 2022
Greetings, fellow players.

I have been utilizing Wonderland's trade servers (mainly on Trade Plaza 2-maps) for some time and most of the time I have had great time: from meeting new faces and socializing to trading items (as expected) and doing decent amount of funny stuff with not-so-serious loadouts and players: basically a real good time.

...At least until the only notable thorn in the bum comes along: those snipers that seem to just join on the server to start blasting everyone's heads off (including ones that are doing their things, not stopping even if you ask politely to be left alone) to compensate on the something that really quickly kills all the good flow as everyone are forced into either using the "friendly"-plugin (which for casually being in the middle is perfect at expense of being able to interact with things or using items like jumper weapons) or joining on one team to sit in spawn until the sniper-players get bored and leave (which isn't necessarily too bad as one can chat and trade still).

Wasting the tryhards away

Now, don't get me wrong: I do understand on having a thrill with sniping, and I am practically all okay with snipers keeping their battles between other snipers. It just begins to get really unpleasant when not only some snipers begin to go twitchy and trigger-happy with shooting/killing any target on opposite team (without apologizing if they shot someone that has not agreed into dueling or attacked them), but more often than not climb on their high-horse and literally start spewing their pro-shooter arguments of "iTs sHoOtY gAeM; sHoOt pLaYeRs" and (quite often) followed by even more focused fire and toxic name-calling.

I just find this level of class elitism completely plowing over reasonable etiquette (that being if one wants to snipe, snipe other snipers) being just plain confusing and disruptive when everyone else is trying to have a good time on a community server designed for calm interactions with everyone else that by default are doing more silly things... It just simply reeks of toxic behavior that is otherwise regulated well by the rules and admins

All of this has left me thinking about the situation and if there could be some way to address these "rogue" snipers without a need of going hyper-passive in friendly-mode or idling inside the spawn to "starve the trolls" (so to speak). Not necessarily in form of needing absolute perfection/trigger-happiness for removing hyper-aggressive sniping, but more of in a way where a proper "Sniping Etiquette" is encouraged and to enable admins act on these instances in name of managing toxicity.

Thus, I have thought about a rule to suggest into being added for trade servers.

Simply put, "If you wanna engage in active sniping, you should only focus on sniping other active snipers: leave any non-aggressive players (i.e ones not targeting/retaliating at you) to their own accord". This might just create more enjoyable environment where all sides get a compromise, with players with an itch to quick-scope around having appropriate targets that wouldn't disrupt the flow of the players that want to chill in own space/do their own dueling (like market gardening or meme-loadouts).

In the end, I'm not necessarily expecting this to being added: I guess I just wanted to bring this topic up after a recent experience of half the server being snipers all of which ended up leaving everyone else suffering from being unable to exit spawns and getting practically high-horsed for several hours with no interventions from the admins due to there not being a rule against aggressive targeting in place (which I don't blame on admins or the servers, as they have rights for deciding what is enforced), something that pretty much other players agreed with me.

I just think that having that line of text to allow action under the rules about toxicity being probably easiest to implement without getting into overly complex plug-in shenanigans with stuff like "Kill Forgiveness Systems" or having ignore command on players (that would make the specific players unable to interact with each other, thou it would get more messier compared to simple "friendly"-mode).

Anyways, I think I shall end up writing on this suggestion that also is a slight commentary on a dilemma that I think could be addressed. I do get the idea of "shooter game, shoot players" to an extend, but it just gets too absurd when players purposefully join into chill socializing/trading server to "prove their skills"... Like little bit of etiquette would do an amazing amount of good for all players around.

Any thoughts on the proposed "Sniping Etiquette"-rule for the trade servers? Lemme know :v

Sincerely,

- RaidMiner

The Pesterer

Forum Robot
Jul 13, 2021
Armory
those people sound like cancer. i would love for snipers to stop sniping me when i tell them to stop. also i want people who kill friendlies to get banned. and yea. they might wanna have fun but. THERE ARE OTHER SERVERS THAT ALLOW THAT so wtf is the point, and people prob wanna be friendly on the server too anyways i will be +1ing this.

RaidMinerFIN

Apr 2, 2022
those people sound like cancer. i would love for snipers to stop sniping me when i tell them to stop. also i want people who kill friendlies to get banned. and yea. they might wanna have fun but. THERE ARE OTHER SERVERS THAT ALLOW THAT so wtf is the point, and people prob wanna be friendly on the server too anyways i will be +1ing this.
I guess that is one way of putting the issue.

Like it does raise some questions when one has an urge to target a demo using Sticky Jumper and B.A.S.E Jumper to progress an achievement (or possible congaing players) over snipers on the other team literally trying to out-snipe them. Not only that, but then the blatant language when they yell about "shooter game, shoot players" or "go to an other server then n00b" (which is rather backwards way to say on a server where others have gathered to chill and enjoy their time speaking and/or trading, as if the sniper themselves cannot swap into proper match or MGE) just signals overly toxic signals that on its own that would probably be breaking a rule about being toxic in chat by effectively bullying people into idling, using friendly-command or worse out-right leaving server (something that I saw today).

It just feels a bit backwards where I (and others) are forced into complete passive role to idle or friendly-mode by several egoists who simply abuse an class to boast their toxicity and ruining innocent bystander's good time, a scheme that currently admins don't have any guidelines to enforce about (again, not their fault as a rule for this doesn't exist, hence why I'm suggesting an idea to offer a leverage for the main audience of trade-servers).

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens: I kind of have hope that owner of these servers happens to have some understanding about the imbalance and provide a change to help with keeping competitive high-horsing off the backs of regular players and traders

:blobthinking2:

chef

Jul 25, 2020
tf2 friendlies will literally be killed by a better player and then proceed to write a cope essay trying to get the rules changed instead of just using the /friendly command thats ALREADY in the server hahahahahah

striker

idk what to put
★ Donor ★
Oct 3, 2019
Maybe instead of the snipers switching servers, why don't you switch servers? You're the one complaining about it plus !friendly exists so your entire point is invalid -1

Last edited:

juni

Jan 16, 2022
Even if this was implemented, it would practically kill wln's trade_plaza servers; seeing as a large part of the server's main population is just snipers killing people. Only being allowed to kill other snipers as sniper would be boring as hell, leaving the servers empty. If you wanna be in a server where people get kicked/banned for killing friendlies, join a friendly server and not a trade_plaza -1

chef

Jul 25, 2020
Even if this was implemented, it would practically kill wln's trade_plaza server; seeing as a large part of the server's main population is just snipers killing people. Only being allowed to kill other snipers as sniper would be boring as hell, leaving the servers empty. If you wanna be in a server where people get kicked/banned for killing friendlies, join a friendly server and not a trade_plaza
sniper is already boring as hell its too easy zzzzzzz especially cause of goofy ahh friendlies who make threads like this....

Wandy

Jul 17, 2019
France
""I have been utilizing Wonderland's trade servers (mainly on Trade Plaza 2-maps)"""
You utilizing is very bad because trade plaza and other trade servers in wonderland as being always like this. You joining 2-3 time max a week/mouth for only a hours or two at pretty calm hours.
""If you wanna engage in active sniping, you should only focus on sniping other active snipers: leave any non-aggressive players"
This is call !friendly
being unable to exit spawns and getting practically high-horsed for several hours with no interventions from the admins due to there not being a rule against aggressive targeting in place
All person on !friendly mode are enable to exit spawn or fight to get free or just leave the server + Staff aren't full time job Admin they have other thing to do (just imagine one of this rule past out)
+ target a demo using Sticky Jumper and B.A.S.E Jumper to progress an achievement
Wonderland have other server better then plaza with higher skybox like every Achivement_???????? maps + Mario cart one (this one got gravity+ so it's easier to make it) (but there are as "tryharding" then plaza)
I kind of have hope that owner of these servers happens to have some understanding about the imbalance and provide a change to help with keeping competitive high-horsing off the backs of regular players and traders
Competitive player can't be friendly ?????? and can't be trader ????????

Not only that, but then the blatant language when they yell about "shooter game, shoot players"

And yes tf2 is a shooter game were two team fight......

a wise man once told me : "Git gud scrub"

^ true fact here

Lunar-

「-」
Honorary Member ★
Oct 12, 2021
hi striker
As a Trade Plaza regular I do not believe this will work because how you described the "Kill Forgiveness System" in-game I believe it can be easily abused, so it would be a huge waste of time for staff. I also don't think this will work because most of the people who join Plaza want to play sniper to kill everything, removing this would severely drop the player count on the server. And my last point is that Wonderland has a Sniper vs Sniper server and it isn't as active as Trade Plaza which makes me believe that sniping other classes on Trade plaza is an essential part of the Plaza experience.

With all things said Wonderland has 3 other EU plaza servers you could migrate to if you are trapped in spawn.

Hypernova

the one with many names
★ Donor ★
Jun 25, 2019
???
also i want people who kill friendlies to get banned
if that happened then the server/community would likely die or lose a lot of players.

Simply put, "If you wanna engage in active sniping, you should only focus on sniping other active snipers: leave any non-aggressive players (i.e ones not targeting/retaliating at you) to their own accord"
as mentioned plenty of times before, /friendly exists. also this is literally a shooter game.

shooting only snipers would just get boring quickly, and i doubt anyone would follow this "rule".

Status
Not open for further replies.