Accepted Yeah I got banned for using a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2018
Listen, I understand that people will use VPNs to avoid having their real IP found when doing things against the rules, but that's mainly the entire point of using a VPN. I use one for privacy reasons, that does not by any means automatically mean two accounts with the same IP are duplicate accounts. I've gotten perma'd off countless servers for the exact same reason: NeonHeights, TheOutpost, Skial to name a few. Could ya please find a different way to detect duplicate accounts, or at the very least don't keep perma'ing me for wanting to be a "tinfoil hat" person.

tl;dr: I use a VPN and the server's algorithms thought I was a dupe account 'cause "Two accounts w/ same IP? Must be duplicate!" Not true at all, please fix this.

Last edited:

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
"Two accounts w/ same IP? Must be duplicate!" Not true at all, please fix this.
Actually a large majority of the time it is. Our Duplicate Account system and the ones other communities share are very efficient at their jobs and on a daily basis catch many cheaters trying to avoid bans, including ones using VPNs. While it arguably could be improved, there's no overwhelming need to *fix* it due to the few and far cases between such as this one.

Though this appeal isn't meant to be an argument over the Duplicate Account tracking system, it's an appeal. In due time we will further investigate your claims.

Would you happen to know who this is? They were the original user banned on the IP that you were therefore banned on aswell: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198433404929

Jan 30, 2018
No, I don't. He must've used a VPN called CyberGhost, because it's the one I use. So incidentally we both were caught with the same IP eventually.

I'm just really butthurt that this has happened for the fourth time or so, I'm sure your banning methods are proficient at doing what they do.

R4

Forum Extremist
Jul 11, 2017
Here's the deal, I use a VPN myself so I understand your reasoning however we cannot just unban you and let you continue to use cyberghost. Which has a terrible privacy record anyway.

However you are permitted to use a static IP vpn which will conceal your traffic and give you a Unique IP.
You could also set up your own VPN service on a VPS to similar effect.
That or you will have to disable your VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.