• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Accepted Jumping! TF2 server suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nking

Jul 18, 2017
Russia
Good day. I would like to suggest some changes to your "Jumping!" server.

Introduction.

I have been playing on Wonderland TF servers for while and I am also an avid jumper. As such I like to occasionally play on the jump server that you host.

And while playing I have noticed a few things that, in my opinion, can be changed to enhance jumping experience.

I am going to talk about plugin/server configuration and maps that can be added to map pool.

Server configuration.

Cvar
The most important of all things I want to talk about are accelerate and airaccelerate cvars. It seems that those cvars are currently in non-default surf-like state. As a result it's possible to do very tight airstrafe turns, which breaks some jumps. They also hinder wall-jumping and make tapping S enough to stop immediately.

This is off-putting for experienced jumpers and also teaches bad habits to new jumpers that may join the server.

Jump Assist

Jump assist plugin allows servers to store player data like saves in an SQLite database on the server. With it enabled a player save will stay even after he disconnects. It also allows to force team switch on a map with a mapset command.

It appears that this server does not have a jump database or simply does not use it.

As I understand it, Jumping! server is for casual jumping since it does not have time scores and leaderboards, and most maps are easy difficulty or have a difficulty progression starting with easy.
So I see no reason not to allow players to save their position on the map to be able to come back later. This is especially useful on big maps like jump_minecraftia_preview12 or jump_littleman_v4 where it's almost impossible to complete the map in one go even for an experienced jumper.

As for mapset team command, it would be also useful on jump_minecraftia_preview12 since both teams spawn in the same place, potentially allowing players to grief by shooting jumping players or even kill a player as demo with 3 stickies. Which will result in the killed player spawning on last save or at the start of the map, nullifying progress.

Random bullet spread

This setting is generally disabled in jump servers since some maps require precise shotgun aim for soldier. For example a few jumps in jump_minecraftia_preview12 and jump_sketchy_rc2 have buttons that are activated with a shotgun.

RTV and VE (Rock the Vote and Vote Extend)

I consider ability to prolong a map to finish playing it if the time is running out or change from a map that got boring for most players is important on a jump server

Map suggestions

As I stated earlier, the server has easy maps and maps that start as easy. I would like to mention a few popular maps that are not in the map rotation, but also fit that category.

Please consider adding following maps to map pool:
jump_jurf
jump_4starters
jump_beef
jump_summer

I would also suggest changing jump_academy_easy_c to a later version jump_academy_easy_e. It has one more course to go through.

Eight

Incognito
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 15, 2017
I assume these are all already being looked into but I'll place my support for them anyway. Thanks for taking the time to make this suggestion & help out the community!

Status
Not open for further replies.