I find the process of scamming to be hilarious, since purchasing unusuals I've received countless FR's from people who are "associated" with a "gambling site" or that "need my help" to withdraw something expensive (usually a golden frying pan) from a trading site.
1. First was a Haunted Crones Dome, 6 years back. A guy i was playing with and chatting with on Skype, who i thought was a real friend, ended up saying some bullshit that we would get 6 keys if i just gave it, so he could sell it quickly. He removed me and blocked me. Now he have been offline for 1000+ days and vac banned. It broke me. broke me real hard.
2. I was just plainly surfing on a map, and some guy said if i gave him 10 hats/cosmetics he had a program that could give me an unusual. Naive 12 year old me thought he was legit, because a) He was danish, so i could speak to and with him, and b) 'cause i was well, young & naive, and loved profit back then. (look at me now. Giving away items away for free just to make people happy lmao) I live traded with him for 6 or 8 cosmetics and 2 or 4 0.33+ weapons (wanga prick back then was that price). He stole it and ran away. I lowkey expected it this time and was ofc upset, but not so much as the first.
3. COUNTER STRIKE. Fell for a "grade" scam, where a person is showing they are selling a Factory New item and then in all honesty got the item in any other condition than what they advertise. Since i was hungry for profit i quickly traded for it, without thinking twice (again before mobile confirmation and all that jazz) so i lost 6 bucks and got mad af.
4. Again counter-strike. I was into gambling, and didn't know how to look apart real and fake sites. Put in like a 12 euro item and never received the so-called "coins" or currency the website was using. Confuzzled as i was i waited some days, wrote a support ticket and eventually gave up. yeet
5. Same story as above, just again.
6. "Click this link to trade all your cases up to a knife". Clicked it whilst i had nothing valuable in my inventory and everything was cleaned.
7. Rust scam, i don't remember what happened, and in all honesty i didn't care.
8. Fake spy crab shenanigans on a fake and forged server that made it look like a well known community server. We had a middleman with an admin tag in-game, (didn't care to verify for a single key raffle lmao) send it over, server closed down. Not a word from either of them. yeet
Thats so rough, sorry to hear that. Now you have learned all that can be offered to scams and you're smarter for it. Like you said, you even give items away to make people happy! You're a good and better person for it! <3