Im starting to loose my mind whenever I get a lag spike

Green.

Maniac
Dec 7, 2019
Algeria
I think I need a break, but I have a question, is there anyway to fix my "lag spike" issue?
I'm really starting to loose my mind whenever I get a lag spike, I'll be like screaming and shit you know, but I really hope one of you guys have an answer to my question.

sowon

Valorant
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Sep 12, 2019
united kingdom
What do you mean by 'lag spike' as there are many forms that lag can come in, such as:
  • Everybody freezing (but you can still move your mouse) followed by a 'Disconnecting in X seconds' prompt
  • General ping issues in general - everybody jumping around, almost teleportation-like
  • The source engine quirk where things tend to repeat like someone shouting "MEDIC!" and your game going "MED-MED-MED-MED" before going back to normal (this is probably more of a stutter though)
I would first begin by checking the following:
  • CPU usage - check that your CPU isn't being utilized 100% in comparison to your GPU, this is known as a CPU bottleneck as your CPU is holding back your performance.
  • Memory usage - check that you are not maxing out your memory, using all of your memory with none left in the tank will lead to stutters and lags in-game as your computer does not know where to get resources from, and conversely cannot offload any for whatever reason, such as a lot of assets in your game such as player models, objects, and particles
  • Bandwidth usage (likely what you need to monitor) - check that your internet connection remains consistent to keep up with the server(s), you need a consistent flow of data downloading and uploading to maintain a consistent gaming experience
    • Typically online gaming - in this case, Team Fortress 2 - requires no more than 1MB/s download and upload speed at a time

Probably unrelated but worth mentioning, LA, IL, and NY Jailbreak servers can be slow sometimes and succumb to lagspikes, so if you play on those servers and experience them, you're likely not alone.

Green.

Maniac
Dec 7, 2019
Algeria
What do you mean by 'lag spike' as there are many forms that lag can come in, such as:
  • Everybody freezing (but you can still move your mouse) followed by a 'Disconnecting in X seconds' prompt
  • General ping issues in general - everybody jumping around, almost teleportation-like
  • The source engine quirk where things tend to repeat like someone shouting "MEDIC!" and your game going "MED-MED-MED-MED" before going back to normal (this is probably more of a stutter though)
What I mean by lag spike is: I cannot move people floating on air and then after few seconds everything goes back to normal and then it happens again

floot_guy

floot_guy
★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
floot_guy
What I mean by lag spike is: I cannot move people floating on air and then after few seconds everything goes back to normal and then it happens again

I think a network interference that might be occuring or someone is using your wifi a lot. If you are using a Wifi connection to play tf2, i suggest you switch to a wired connection.
Like Sowon said (in Bandwidth usage), you can monitor your internet speed and consistency. Idk much, but i usually use speedtest.net and the 'Network' tab in the Task Manager.

sowon

Valorant
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Sep 12, 2019
united kingdom
what is a wired wifi?
'Wired Wi-Fi' does not exist, as Wi-Fi itself is a wireless form of data communication.
What you are hinting at is Ethernet, a hard-wired cable used for internet and data connection. Typically used as RJ45 plugs and connects directly from your router to your device, in this case, computer's rear motherboard I/O.

The cable used looks like this:

This form of internet connection easily surpasses the capability of Wi-Fi as there is no intereference from external sources.

Using Ethernet leads to little to no data packet loss during times where you require your internet the most, compared to Wi-Fi which can succumb to lag spikes, data packet loss, slow peak times, as well as inconsistent download/upload speeds.

Reactions: floot_guy

Green.

Maniac
Dec 7, 2019
Algeria
Where did I mention a wired WiFi?
I said a wired connection. Cables. It also depends on what type of modem you are using
Don't mind the wired wifi thing, so let get to the point.
In my house we have two wifis and since we live in the third floor we will get bad internet ofc so, we have this kind cable that connects with the first floor wifi to the third floor wifi which gives the reach for the internet. (Don't mind my english)

floot_guy

floot_guy
★ Donor ★
Dec 9, 2017
floot_guy
Don't mind the wired wifi thing, so let get to the point.
In my house we have two wifis and since we live in the third floor we will get bad internet ofc so, we have this kind cable that connects with the first floor wifi to the third floor wifi which gives the reach for the internet. (Don't mind my english)
You mean a wifi extender?
Yeah it depends on the device you are using. If you are able to connect your pc directly to the first one, you will get a good connection, but still, idk what type of modem you are using. Check if your second device uses the same cable your PC uses.