• Instead of replying +1 / -1, rather use the buttons to upvote or downvote.

Declined Jailbreak Set the same Speed for all-classes in Jailbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess

★ Donor ★
Apr 29, 2020
Before I explain this post I want to clarify I'm fully aware of the "no racing" rule already established for wonderland.tf's Jailbreak servers. I agree with it completely, as it would be an unfair advantage as some classes have a significantly faster speed than others. I'm giving this suggestion based on past experiences on other jb servers (a couple that are now retired) and can confirm this suggestion isn't game-breaking. By no means I want to ruin the experience for others if this is ever considered.

I know by doing this, there may be balancing issues. For example, the heavy's may be seen as OP, and others will miss the advantage of being faster than the rest. Regulars of the servers are very likely used to a certain class's speed, and select it because it's easier to either rebel or defeat other teammates during FF days. That's why if this is ever accepted, there would have to be a fair speed so it doesn't feel like a complete nerf or overpowering.

I also see this as a way that everyone is on even grounds. No one can necessarily out-run the other, or be seen as a higher threat due to speed. Another big reason why I'd like to see this is to enable more LR's/Activities that were beforehand considered unfair to host. If this is implemented, we could do the following activities or similar: Duck Duck Goose, Musical Chairs, Red light Green light, Pool Shark, Marco Polo, Trail of Tears, Volcano Day, Kart Racing. Below I will explain the objective of each:

DDG: Reds are arranged in a circle, usually around a warden marker. A Red that is chosen (either by a trivia or command) gets to circle everyone and then carefully select another Red with a melee hit. The first one to reach back to the original Red's spot survives.
Similar to DDG but with availability of chairs (i.e. pool chairs). Warden will command with "Go/Start" and the reds must consistently circle the chairs. When commanded to "Stop/Cease" they all must climb on top of a chair that is empty. Those left standing are to be killed. If 2 or more reds are on the same one, they're both KOS. The warden can decide whether to nullify a chair as the round progresses; meaning if a Red gets on a chair that's been taken away, they're still KOS.
Red / Green Light: Similar to Disco Freeze Dance in the sense those who are still moving are KOS. Reds will be lined up against a wall and have to race to a certain point (i.e. wall of bowling all the way to BLU hallway). Warden will say Green Light to run, Yellow Light to crouch walk, and Red Light to afk freeze. Trick orders are encouraged for this activity, such as "Grrreat Light. Grey Light. Go." The objective on winners or losers is up to the warden. For example; whoever reaches the finish line first gets lr (if small amount of reds). Or whoever the last 3-5 are in the back dies. Or whoever reaches the finish line gets to choose certain amount of Reds to die, etc.
Pool Shark: Reds race across the pool to survive the shark (a selected Blu). The Blu selected as a shark swims against the Reds with the intent to swing their melee to "bite". To make this fair for everyone, the Blu would have to be constantly spinning by manually inputting +right in console, that way it won't be easy for them to target specific players. The same can be applied to Reds for "360 Day" that way they have a hard time harming the Shark so easily.
Marco Polo: This is only do-able if there is a plug-in for warden to enable "Blind" mode or a mod/admin enable it on selected player. Similar to Pokemon Day, this can be Blu vs Red or Red vs Red. FF is enabled and both contestants are blinded in the pool. They must fight each other while constantly calling out for "Medic" or any other voice commands to lure each other into battle.
Trail of Tears: Warden has to place markers in a frantic manner or tricky manner. The objective is that all Reds must follow the marker and not trail behind. Those who are furthest behind are shot at, as they are marked to be KOS for the moment. However once inside the marker, they are safe in the crowd. This continues until there is one Red left or the amount deemed by Warden. Markers do not have to be in a consistent line. They can be hidden in spots such as inside cells, or on top of buildings to trick Reds and enable them to pay better attention.
Volcano Day: Warden or selected Red from LR hosts this. Warden is much more preferred as they can use !wchat so Red's have an easier time viewing location & time stamp. The host gives a specific location and a time the Red's must be there by. The ones who are not on the specific location by then are marked as KOS, even if they are nearing the area. Ex: On top of Medic by 11:25. Even if they are climbing the ladder and have not made it there on time, they still get shot. Reasonable times must be given however depending on distance. Locations can be further apart as a challenge or in same area but with less merciful running time.
Kart Racing: This is if everyone uses the same taunt command to access the bumper kart taunt. Warden clarifies the course path, dangerous ones are encouraged. (i.e. from the BLU hallway, through Minefield, then Creeper Forest, to back of Bowling.) Warden can determine the rules on who wins or loses.

Redds

Brainrot
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jun 8, 2019
Pacifica
I see a couple of problems and pro's. Normally I list them, but you already did it. ;w; Well lets see. I see a couple of problems, Eyelander would be the meta due to giving speed on kills, same with bfb, this could be an issue. Heavies moving at same speed as everyone, oh boy. Minigames would be interesting. One of those mini games names though. Melee fights on purge would be pain due to same speed. Purge is quite popular. The negatives outway the positives tbh. -1.

StarOfSouls

Wired
★ Donor ★
Aug 5, 2018
I think that the differences between TF2's classes are what make them unique, and a change like this would be huge and something I believe most people would be against. On paper, the benefits sound good, but I personally don't think the experience of jailbreak needs to be improved in this aspect of the game.

Reactions: Princess and Redds

Prisma

The one who sees
★ Donor ★
Nov 28, 2019
I have played servers where every class has the same speed and I must say I'm not a fan of the idea as I feel it removes a ton from the gamemode as a whole. With what is currently implemented on wonderland servers more cons are bought to the table than pros by adding this idea.

Reactions: Princess

Buns

-
★ Donor ★
Honorary Member ★
Jan 5, 2020
Not trying to be rude, but I feel this might be a bad idea. There are already many classes that seem fair (ex: scout, fast speed but low health or heavy: slow speed but a high amount of health). Setting all classes at the same speed will not do well for guards since all classes can catch up to them (including heavy) I do see many flaws and pros in this, both to make things fair for other classes, but I can see many people who can abuse this and all jb servers will just be overflowed with demoknights or heavys. That will be a nightmare to handle for all blus, regardless of what class you are

Loser

★ Donor ★
Mar 11, 2018
I think it's at least fair enough. For example, even if Scout is arguable the faster one off the bat in the round, his low health makes it easier to kill a runaway even if he's fast, but I see where you were going with it.

Princess

★ Donor ★
Apr 29, 2020
@Buns Not rude at all, I really appreciate all this feedback!
@everyone I do agree the cons weigh higher than the pros in the sense there's already an established balance to the gameplay.
I'm glad these aspects are explained, because the last thing I want is for the fun experience and variety to be completely removed.

Eyelander would be the meta due to giving speed on kills, same with bfb, this could be an issue.
all jb servers will just be overflowed with demoknights

I kept this fact in mind, and I now realized it would ruin the class balance crucially. Unless the weapon is auto-switched/replaced to another melee. In my old JB there were certain weapons that were removed because it would cause too much of an advantage when everyone was already set to the same stats/speed. If this is ever accepted, I would suggest for this to be added for those weapons. Unfortunately it would take away the fun from those who enjoy using it to rebel or fight.

(ex: scout, fast speed but low health or heavy: slow speed but a high amount of health)
Scout is arguable the faster one off the bat in the round, his low health makes it easier to kill a runaway even if he's fast

That reminded me I forgot to mention other balances, such as setting everyone with the same amount of health. I'm not too pressed on having this implemented, because I do strongly enjoy the game play as it is.

The major pro to all this is that we can include more activities. But it's not essentially important as we already have a fair amount of great ideas for LR's and existing minigames. Certain JB maps have a couple of the activities I mentioned, such as Kart Racing in ML Castle & Space Jail. Musical chairs is in a map in rotation, I forget which one exactly (and another existing JB map that isn't added to the servers).

I also want to mention; I don't want to push these standards and make wonderland.tf similar or exact to other community Jailbreaks. I respect why certain rules and balances are already implemented. That's what makes this server very unique. I only mention these ideas mainly to provide new insight. Thanks for all your responses thus far; I completely agree with these as they're extremely reasonable.

Reactions: Xypher and Buns

Loser

★ Donor ★
Mar 11, 2018
I see what you're saying I thought of it too, I just simply thing it would be hard for the admins and such to push this since for instance there's the medic who is constantly healing themselves, or other healing items some classes can put on to add health so those would also have to be banned.. which opens a whole other can of worms.

Princess

★ Donor ★
Apr 29, 2020
tl;dr balancing would be annoying for everybody and its taking away what makes tf2 jb unique.
@thunder I read upon your post and you made so many strong and valid posts. Chiming in with the rest of what I read on, I completely agree. Thank you for providing this thorough explanation; it made me see this change would bring up much more issues and prove to be too complicated to establish.

However, I think this would be a great idea as an LR.
Suggestion as an LR would be akin to Usain Bolt except all mercenaries are the same speed instead of being boosted. Honestly sounds kind of fun.
Taking all this feedback in, I agree this wouldn't be a good idea. But I'm super open to it potentially being an LR/Day. I'm thrilled to know this could possibly be accepted! If the Warden is aware of its benefits, they may do some of the activities I listed in my original post.

That being said, I would appreciate if this is considered as such instead of a full-blown revamp on the class-speed in general.
Having it as an LR will preserve the server's normal game balance as it's only for a round, and invite new gameplay to make it special.

Reactions: thunder
D

Deleted member 8006

Interesting LR concept. My only question is: What speed would all the classes be set to? I think scout's speed would be too fast, as a Heavy rebelling with scout's speed is literally the scariest thing to imagine XD Also, I think setting them to heavies' speed would be too slow, as some obstacles are super difficult to do with heavies' speed. I think a speed around the Pyro's would be good. I know this is up to the admins/staff, but that's my suggestion.

I'll give this a
+1 (For the LR Concept) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.